Paying Gratuities Before we board

tgetz

If you haven't yet booked your cruise, you can choose to pay gratuities at the end of your booking -- you can also choose whether to choose travel insurance at that point. 

If you've already booked, call RC's customer service and ask them to add your gratuities to your reservations.  If you call early or late, they'll answer pretty quickly -- they're open until 1 am on Saturday nights.  

I have previously paid my "gratuities" (please do not get into the subject for it has been beaten to death in so many CC threads) because I thought it was needed to do My Time Dining. This was the case for many years but it was changed.

I still pay the gratuity fee, tip, or what ever you call it but do so on a daily basis as it is charged to my room. The payment is not due unless you actually complete the cruise. This can be one less point of contention should you need to cancel the cruise or not complete the cruise.

Pros: I do not expend the money until the end of my cruise. I can adjust the tip if I feel that the situation was so grave that it needed adjustment (I have not had to do so as of this date).

Cons: The "gratuity rate" can be increased between booking and actual cruise. If you pay ahead of time, this is one less expense to concern yourself when you are done.

In so many cases, the slight amount of any increase does not justify placing money from your savings into a fund which does not accrue any interest and might cost you interest on your credit card. You may have to appeal and try to get prepaid gratuities refunded back from a cruise not taken or completed.

Just my thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

... The payment is not due unless you actually complete the cruise. This can be one less point of contention should you need to cancel the cruise or not complete the cruise.

Chances of not completing the cruise are very slim.  

7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Pros: I do not expend the money until the end of my cruise. I can adjust the tip if I feel that the situation was so grave that it needed adjustment (I have not had to do so as of this date).

I've literally never received service on a cruise that would make me consider reducing tips. 

Also, if you've paid ahead of time, you don't have to spend any time thinking about tips during the cruise.  Makes the vacation a little bit easier.

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Chances of not completing the cruise are very slim.  

I've literally never received service on a cruise that would make me consider reducing tips. 

Also, if you've paid ahead of time, you don't have to spend any time thinking about tips during the cruise.  Makes the vacation a little bit easier.

Your opinion which I do respect. Everyone has one and that is why we share. 😁