Some of the people I was hanging around with had booked through A2S. Royal let them use phone on board to call but wait times were hours. It was a sea day so nothing missed but some people spent much of the day dealing with it. One lady in our group stopped and had lunch with us and then went back at it after lunch.
She told stories that they were saying there are routings through this country or that country but they were being blocked from booking them because it was a ban country.
This is the problem when these type of travel bans are announced on TV without anyone in the industry having anytime to prepare. Travel professionals didn't know anymore than we did. Some assumed worst case and made up rules to implement to protect themselves.
Royal placed computers and phones in the conference center that was available for guests. They were pretty strict about sanitation and wiped down each station after use, or so I'm told. I used my cell phone in my cabin.
Here is more background on how I found my wallet $2,445 lighter:
I had used Delta Skymiles to book my airfare returning Tuesday March 17. I got a great deal, only 25k miles in comfort plus. I had flown to Fort Lauderdale on Southwest.
In the aftermath of the travel ban Delta also had long wait times, like 2 to 3 hours. Being an award ticket I couldn't change my flight online. Voom was pretty crappy on that sea day and my 1st call dropped after 60 minutes. Ugh. All the while I am watching flights sell out for Friday. First the 1pm Delta flight, then the 11:30am flight out of BCN. There was a 9:30am but I wasn't confident making that if the ship was late arriving and if I recall that routed through Amsterdam and Paris.
Some of the Delta options were multiple hops through Europe. Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt - did I really want to add more ban countries to my routing? At this point it wasn't clear that US citizens were exempt but even so, why route through more European ban countries? Delta had Saturday and Sunday options through JFK but not many seats left and long wait times to talk to someone.
I was checking multiple sources like Kayak and the big US airlines plus foreign carriers. American was the only one offering a Friday connection through the UK.
As I am bouncing back and forth between sites whenever I went back to American some options began disappearing. Now the fear amd FOMO start to kick in. If I don't act fast, I am not getting out on Friday. At least on American I'd get out Friday and I overnight in an country that isn't banned. Then the 2:15pm option on American disappears. Only one option left, or at least the only one presented for booking was the 3pm before the only options were first class for $$$$$$$$. My cheapest option was $500 cheaper than the 2nd cheapest though a ban country. Prices skyrocketed for business and first class after that.
So absent of all the facts (because the White House hadn't clarified it yet) I booked a non-banned ticket through London. My $455 AirBNB for Barcelona was also lost in this. So be it, I wanted to get home before the borders were closed.
By the time Delta answered I had booked AA. They couldn't get me out Friday by that time but they did offer to waive my Skymiles redeposit fee so at least I got my 25k miles back plus the taxes I had paid for that flight.
That afternoon when we met for the nightly happy hour some were still dealing with it. Some thought I was the smartest person on the ship to fork over $2,500 since at this point most of them had to overnight in Barcelona but at least by that time we had heard US citizens weren't banned. However we all feared that airlines would cancel flights if they were half empty and fully empty on the way back for any foreign airline. The funk pretty much hung around the entire last sea day and we joked about having to do firewatch duty in dry dock.
Hindsight is always 20-20 but sometimes you have to make a decision in the heat of the moment and that is what American Airlines was counting on.
Long winded answer but those who booked A2S had to wait on hold like everyone else to speak with A2S. Since I was booked independently I was more agile and could book anything I wanted, at a cost. While A2S people probably didn't have any extra cost many did overnight in Spain. I'm symptom free and like I told the CBP agent I feared catching something in the DFW CDC waiting area more than my brief transit through BCN but who knows?