For Cabanas at the Carnival Ports such as Half Moon Cay are gratuities required or expected?

nudistcruzer

We always get one at either private island (Half Moon/ Princess) and have never been told that we are required to tip.Lol they will mention that it's appreciated tho... That said, we always have tipped once we're 1st  there, And at the end of the Day before we go back to the ship... We've always had awesome staff at both islands... Tipping is an "individual" decision, and we've always decided to do it this way. But that's just us. 

10 hours ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

We always get one at either private island (Half Moon/ Princess) and have never been told that we are required to tip.Lol they will mention that it's appreciated tho... That said, we always have tipped once we're 1st  there, And at the end of the Day before we go back to the ship... We've always had awesome staff at both islands... Tipping is an "individual" decision, and we've always decided to do it this way. But that's just us. 

Up to 24 of us are sharing the Oasis at Half Moon Cay. We are splitting it. There are multiple people to tip. I know they all come from the ship. I was debating to charge everyone or let them tip individually. In the past the organizer tipped 10% and added to what everyone paid. That was $300 in tips. I’m not sure how he divided that among the different people(bartender, chef, etc.) Any thoughts? (Also, since this is a nude cruise, clothing will not be worn, that might also be a reason to tip more.)

Edited by nudistcruzer

19 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

Up to 24 of us are sharing the Oasis at Half Moon Cay. We are splitting it. There are multiple people to tip. I know they all come from the ship. I was debating to charge everyone or let them tip individually. In the past the organizer tipped 10% and added to what everyone paid. That was $300 in tips. I’m not sure how he divided that among the different people(bartender, chef, etc.) Any thoughts? (Also, since this is a nude cruise, clothing will not be worn, that might also be a reason to tip more.)

Each time we have gotten The Private Oasis, each couple has tipped individually.  We didn't discuss with the others how much they tipped, that's personal and none of our business, however, DH and I tipped our bartender, serving/cooking staff, and cleaning staff enough that even if we were the only ones tipping them that day (which we definitely weren't), they would each feel appreciated and thanked.

The time that we got the Private Oasis just for our family (price not split with others, I paid for the whole thing and it was just the four of us), I paid each of the staff a much higher gratuity then when I was part of a group because this was their only gratuity of the day.  And although they didn't have to work much for four guests (several of them said it's the best gig on the island and more like a vacation than work when the group is small like ours), I wanted to show my appreciation adequately.

Your group is going to be rather large, so they will be working hard for you.  And, yeah, I agree that it being a nude cruise, you should probably be a little extra generous with the tips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Odds are the crew will pool tips collected and divide.  

Generally they are always forced to do this, my hunch is in this case they would not. If Carnival wants you to tip it is usually you are forced to as you are with every single beverage.

14 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Each time we have gotten The Private Oasis, each couple has tipped individually.  We didn't discuss with the others how much they tipped, that's personal and none of our business, however, DH and I tipped our bartender, serving/cooking staff, and cleaning staff enough that even if we were the only ones tipping them that day (which we definitely weren't), they would each feel appreciated and thanked.

The time that we got the Private Oasis just for our family (price not split with others, I paid for the whole thing and it was just the four of us), I paid each of the staff a much higher gratuity then when I was part of a group because this was their only gratuity of the day.  And although they didn't have to work much for four guests (several of them said it's the best gig on the island and more like a vacation than work when the group is small like ours), I wanted to show my appreciation adequately.

Your group is going to be rather large, so they will be working hard for you.  And, yeah, I agree that it being a nude cruise, you should probably be a little extra generous with the tips.

I've decided to let each person tip as they see fit but I will encourage tipping.

If Carnival required tipping these people would essentially get nothing, because those tips would be shared with the whole ship including the people that work at the front desk.

Edited by nudistcruzer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Generally they are always forced to do this, my hunch is in this case they would not. If Carnival wants you to tip it is usually you are forced to as you are with every single beverage.

No, when a team work together to provide a high level guest experience, team members know that guests may not reward all equally so that is when they pool and spilt.

12 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

I've decided to let each person tip as they see fit but I will encourage tipping.

If Carnival required tipping these people would essentially get nothing, because those tips would be shared with the whole ship including the people that work at the front desk.

Incorrect for the general cruises however, if your cruise is full charter, there may be differences especially for the nude cruises.  

Edited by Elaine5715

31 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, when a team work together to provide a high level guest experience, team members know that guests may not reward all equally so that is when they pool and spilt.

Very often team members know their managers get all the money and they will get nothing if a tip is reported.  Corruption is everywhere.

1 hour ago, nudistcruzer said:

Very often team members know their managers get all the money and they will get nothing if a tip is reported.  Corruption is everywhere.

LOl i learned from a  friend that worked at a job where tips were pulled together

There is one pocket where all the big bill tips go.... and another pocket where the small bills come out for the pulled tip jar  🙂

42 minutes ago, cxr133 said:

LOl i learned from a  friend that worked at a job where tips were pulled together

There is one pocket where all the big bill tips go.... and another pocket where the small bills come out for the pulled tip jar  🙂

Not when you work and live together

• Thanks 1