gluten free and coeliac cruising info

Hi,  In case it is relevant to anyone, I just wanted to mention that a few months ago ago I started an Australian Gluten Free and Coeliac cruising group.   It is so far mostly about cruises from Oz but anyone is welcome to join (you will have to search for it and request to join).  The group is growing more rapidly than I expected.  We discuss the ways that the different cruise lines cater for those of us who cannot eat gluten.  In general, if advised in advance or on board, most cruiselines/ships do a pretty good job, in different ways.    Any info anyone wants to provide (web pages, personal experience etc) is welcome either here or there.  Cheers

image.thumb.png.aa96cfec200329fdf5f6367b15ecfd93.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good idea Lucy, I can contribute with my experiences. I have been a medically diagnosed coeliac since 2010 and been on several cruise lines. They all cater quite well for gf if they are given notice but the gf person has to play their part too by asking questions at the buffets etc. I will check out your site, although my cruise career is drawing to a close due to health.

Well done.😀

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Thanks Les.  Hope your health improves so you can get back on the ships.  I have done a couple of domestic cruises following my treatment for c - the insurance is expensive and not every insurer will cover me but it was doable.  Now I have booked a bucket list trip to the chelsea flower show and the insurance extra for medical was almost the same amount for 4 weeks in England as it was for 1 week on a domestic cruise!   But they gave it to me (phew). 

It would be great to have your experience for the group.  Lots of people come to the group because it is their first time cruising since diagnosis.   Cruising is actually a great holiday for coeliacs and those with wheat / gluten allergies (or other food issues)

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

Thanks for giving this info. Our daughter has coeliac disease and eating out and while away on holidays is so challenging.

We did do an amazing cruise on NCL out of the USA a few years ago. The attention they gave to making sure our daughter was kept safe from gluten was amazing. Really made our cruise so enjoyable. 

• Like 2

I'm happy to find your new page Lucy!  I have celiac and will be on a Holland Cruise from Sydney to NZ, followed by an Oceania Cruise from Sydney to Tahiti, in February.  I'm trying to plan ahead some strategies for eating while in ports.  We usually explore ports independently, so I need a plan for eating off ship safely.  Will the ships allow us to bring a box of granola bars from home, to take ashore on port days?  I doubt the cruise ship provides safe food for taking on shore.  Any suggestions?  

• Like 1

Hi - I am celiac and our next cruise (NZ and Australia) will be our 4th (2 Celebrity, 4 HA). I have had great experiences on all of our trips with the staff onboard meeting my gluten free requirements. Eating off the ship is another story, so I generally avoid the hassle. However, when we have been on excursions in non-English speaking countries, especially where a meal or 'snack' is included, it can be tricky.

You should check out this website: https://glutenfreeglobetrotter.com/resources/glutenfreetranslations/ 

You will find travel cards in any language that explain what celiac disease is and what foods can/can not be eaten. They are great to print off or have on your phone to show at restaurants etc. I used them several times and it really helped communicate my needs!

Jill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, JennySwea said:

I'm happy to find your new page Lucy!  I have celiac and will be on a Holland Cruise from Sydney to NZ, followed by an Oceania Cruise from Sydney to Tahiti, in February.  I'm trying to plan ahead some strategies for eating while in ports.  We usually explore ports independently, so I need a plan for eating off ship safely.  Will the ships allow us to bring a box of granola bars from home, to take ashore on port days?  I doubt the cruise ship provides safe food for taking on shore.  Any suggestions?  

Hi!

If you are on that social site that everyone talks about there is a group called Australia's Gluten & Celiac/Coeliac Support Group and there has recently been quite a lot of discussion by a lady called Aliya visiting Australia from Canada and comparing how things are set up.   That might be useful to you - you could search for her name to bring up the discussions.  In general our supermarkets are very good at supplying gf food.  Regarding taking food off the ship, I have found that generally if it is commercially packaged it isn't a problem but you should always declare it at the ports.   Where people get into trouble is if they don't declare and it is discovered (or if they bring things like meat).   

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, edmonton2 said:

Hi - I am celiac and our next cruise (NZ and Australia) will be our 4th (2 Celebrity, 4 HA). I have had great experiences on all of our trips with the staff onboard meeting my gluten free requirements. Eating off the ship is another story, so I generally avoid the hassle. However, when we have been on excursions in non-English speaking countries, especially where a meal or 'snack' is included, it can be tricky.

You should check out this website: https://glutenfreeglobetrotter.com/resources/glutenfreetranslations/ 

You will find travel cards in any language that explain what celiac disease is and what foods can/can not be eaten. They are great to print off or have on your phone to show at restaurants etc. I used them several times and it really helped communicate my needs!

Jill

Hi Jill  Thanks for the website!  I am travelling to Japan later this year so I'll check it out.  💐

On 1/19/2023 at 4:08 PM, lucymorgan said:

Hi,  In case it is relevant to anyone, I just wanted to mention that a few months ago ago I started an Australian Gluten Free and Coeliac cruising group.   It is so far mostly about cruises from Oz but anyone is welcome to join (you will have to search for it and request to join).  The group is growing more rapidly than I expected.  We discuss the ways that the different cruise lines cater for those of us who cannot eat gluten.  In general, if advised in advance or on board, most cruiselines/ships do a pretty good job, in different ways.    Any info anyone wants to provide (web pages, personal experience etc) is welcome either here or there.  Cheers

image.thumb.png.aa96cfec200329fdf5f6367b15ecfd93.png

I'm  a member already. 

I gave the info on Blue lagoon cruises.

It's a good site love all the food photos especially on Rcl as that is our next cruise. 

• Thanks 1