Mt. Roberts Trailhead Hiking

Jonny3317

We took the tram up, then hiked from there going further up, then hiked down to the top of the tram again and then took tram down.   So we only hiked above the top of the tram.  We spent a couple hours up there and didn't have time to make the complete circuit, there are a lot of trails above the tram.  The views are spectacular (better than at the top of the tram).   It is pretty open up there and was breezy, few trees, but we had warm weather when we were there.    So we did not hike from street level to the top of the tram - that appeared to be more wooded and would also be fun.   I do not recall if they offered one way tix, we bought and used round trip.

Have fun !

Edited by CCJack

Yes, have done it a few times.  Its a bit longer than 2 miles.  The old trail access  used to be at the east end of 6th street, but I believe it was badly damaged in storms a few years back and is very eroded and overgrown.  The new trailhead is off of basin road.  This adds probably half a mile or more to the hike.  I do a fair amount of hiking and I'll say this is a moderate to strenuous hike to get up to the tram station.  Take water and take your time if you plan to go.  There are few if any views on the way until you get to the top, so unless you like strictly forest hikes (I do) you may wish to take the tram to the top, and hike up further from there.  I plan to do that next time.

As an alternative, the gold creek flume trail is quite nice, combined with a walk up basin road.  Its much flatter than Mt Roberts, but you'll still get some gain and have a nice walk through part of juneau .

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1