VV Private transfer

ichiban35

If you're curious about booking a private transfer to the ship through VV, I was quoted $175. When I called to inquire about the transfer, the Sailor Services crew member couldn't answer my questions regarding the transfer or an airport shuttle after disembarkation without first "searching"while I was on hold. When he determined the answers, all he could do was open a case and someone would call me back later. I'm 0 for 2 in trying to get something accomplished with one call to sailor services! 😄

• Like 1

The $175 is the lowest I’ve heard, usually $300 for a Virgin Voyages private transfer. I don’t think they get a lot of asks with Uber/Lyft and taxi so abundant in Miami, assuming you’re sailing out of Miami. Private cars are around $125 if you look online, Uber XL is probably half the cost. The private transfer VV does use is an excellent service, very friendly folks.

Sailor Services is not very speedy, they have been able to resolve my issues though.

• Like 1

Sailor services had been getting better, in my experience.  At least now I get to a live person in minutes rather than hours most of the time.  The problem is that they only know what they can find on their on screen guides; anything else has to be researched and "hope for the best" on it.  

We paid 22 Euros for a taxi from our airport area hotel in BCN to the cruise terminal at WTC.  It was $20something from VV terminal to MIA via Lyft.  Not as classy as a private transfer, but plenty big enough for the two of us and the driver.

On 1/20/2023 at 5:08 PM, neverendingcruising said:

I don't believe they offer transfers from the port after debarking at all. 

You can arrange it, but it’s $$$$ because you’re basically paying a several-hour chauffeur minimum and only using like 1 hour max

31 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

You can arrange it, but it’s $$$$ because you’re basically paying a several-hour chauffeur minimum and only using like 1 hour max

Yep, exactly why I can't justify even paying $175. Pre-cruise, we're staying SO close to the port we could probably walk there. Post-cruise, we'll grab a cab/uber to the airport.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just went through this exact bs with VV support. Ridiculous that they don't have a shuttle service (in the $30-45 range pp) to offer people disembarking trying to get to any of the local airpots.

Anyone have any tips for a shared shuttle service to MIA from the port of Miami? Info out there is surprising hard to find.

26 minutes ago, EricW578 said:

I just went through this exact bs with VV support. Ridiculous that they don't have a shuttle service (in the $30-45 range pp) to offer people disembarking trying to get to any of the local airpots.

Anyone have any tips for a shared shuttle service to MIA from the port of Miami? Info out there is surprising hard to find.

I googled Shuttle Port of Miami to MIA and got at least 4 companies that offer shared shuttles, others that offer private shuttles.  There is also the Brightline train. The stop is just outside the port area.  There are YouTube videos that show how these systems work. Shared shuttles start at about $20 per person.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

Easiest, quickest, simple way it to take an uber, lyft or cab.

And best part - you DO NOT HAVE TO MEET THEIR SCHEDULE.

for example, if you schedule a 9:30 am private transfer, you are FORCED to adjust your schedule on the last day to insure you not only get off in time, but clear customs on time, etc.

When booked via the cruiseline, they then book it with another party.  Way too many places for a screwup in my mind.

It is only 15 minutes to the airport.  Easy stuff.

Edited by garycarla
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I googled Shuttle Port of Miami to MIA and got at least 4 companies that offer shared shuttles, others that offer private shuttles.  There is also the Brightline train. The stop is just outside the port area.  There are YouTube videos that show how these systems work. Shared shuttles start at about $20 per person.

Yep, I searched on a much better search engine than google (qwant) and got similar results. Express shuttle was confusing as hell to book and only offered shuttles until 10am (I was going to roll off the boat at 10:30am), another company did shuttles until 11am but had a lot of spelling and other errors on their website that made me not want to trust them with my credit card for a reservation, and on and on... I got the impression that it would be better for me to just wait until the day of, and if there are any shuttles around when I get off the boat to just walk up to them and see if they have space.  Otherwise I'll grab a rideshare, with any luck the wait for one won't be too bad. As an over-planner who likes to have things booked and not play things by ear, I'm trying to stay calm and roll with it.

The youtube videos I found explaining how to get from the airport to the port were pretty complicated with a LOT of transferring. Apparently there is no direct bus or train between MIA and the Port of Miami. Bad Miami, do better! lol 

Not sure how accurate or out of date this is, but taxis between MIA and the port are $27, and rideshares are around $35 or more depending on how bad traffic is.

brightline does not go to MIA, but would be a great option if I were going to a different airport or traveling north. 

All of this searching is disappointing when you compare the experience of searching for a shuttle, taxi, or public transit information at most other major ports. Add in that Virgin doesn't offer booking shuttles through them and it's just frustrating. Other lines at the same port allow you to easily book a transfer, imo Virgin should do the same instead of only offering a private car service for $175 when confused first time passengers like myself reach out.

Not a huge deal.

Last August we got Lyft from Terminal V to Miami Airport for $22 plus tip.

Miami Airport to downtown Miami (the night before the cruise) was under $17 plus tip.

Didn’t have any long waits really. 

• Like 3

As to shuttle pricing, most are PER PASSENGER where rideshare/etc is per vehicle.

As to the plan to roll off at 10:30 - that's cool.  But what if you change your mind and decide to leave at 9:30?  Anything preplanned goes out the window.

Edited by garycarla
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Last August we got Lyft from Terminal V to Miami Airport for $22 plus tip.

Miami Airport to downtown Miami (the night before the cruise) was under $17 plus tip.

Didn’t have any long waits really. 

Same in October.  I don't remember the exact price, but was close to the $22 you quoted.  We were told the arrival time was 9 minutes; he arrived in about 5.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:41 PM, EricW578 said:

MIA is only 8.5 miles (15 minutes non rush hour). Taxis are about $25-30 one way. They have always been plenty full the 3 times I’ve disembarked.

Source: Apple Maps Terminal V to MIA. I worked a few miles from Mia for years. 

fYI My taxi from MIA to downtown Miami (just across the water from the port, staying at The Guild downtown) was $32 + tip at 3pm on a Tues in light traffic. 

I didn't reserve a shuttle for the return trip to MIA. I don't have a flight to catch, I'm just heading to the airport to rent a car. I'm touring Florida for a few weeks after this cruise, so I figured if I have to wait a few hours my rental car will still be there. Hopefully the ride shares and taxis will be past the big rush by the time I get off the ship (10:30am ish)

• Like 1