Visible starfield?

KasperGutman

Hi folks,

It was a bit of a puzzle trying to figure out where to put this question, so I decided to start here and perhaps try elsewhere later...

I live in a city (Vancouver) and rarely am out of it after dark, with the result I haven't seen a proper starfield in many years (While I have done a fairly bit of travelling, mostly it has also been to cities). I am less than two months out from a Mediterranean Cruise, and it occurs to me that maybe I could have a chance while onboard. Based on the destinations, certainly some (if not all) of the nights the ship will be out of range on land based light sources, so the big challenge will be the ship itself.

For people who have done prior cruises, anyone remember what their experiences were?

5 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

Hi folks,

It was a bit of a puzzle trying to figure out where to put this question, so I decided to start here and perhaps try elsewhere later...

I live in a city (Vancouver) and rarely am out of it after dark, with the result I haven't seen a proper starfield in many years (While I have done a fairly bit of travelling, mostly it has also been to cities). I am less than two months out from a Mediterranean Cruise, and it occurs to me that maybe I could have a chance while onboard. Based on the destinations, certainly some (if not all) of the nights the ship will be out of range on land based light sources, so the big challenge will be the ship itself.

For people who have done prior cruises, anyone remember what their experiences were?

Forward of the bridge and as high as possible is generally the best place on a cruise ship to avoid light pollution. 🙂

JB 🙂

ps "Ask a cruise question" is an appropriate forum and gets a much higher view-count than "First time cruisers"

• Like 3

Unfortunately the ship is required to sail with lights and there will be light pollution.  As stated above there is sometimes a sky/star deck which is actually just a small space on the upper deck.  Occasionally a captain will diminish some lights on that area if there is a celestial event

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Unfortunately the ship is required to sail with lights and there will be light pollution.  As stated above there is sometimes a sky/star deck which is actually just a small space on the upper deck.  Occasionally a captain will diminish some lights on that area if there is a celestial event

Hi Mary,

I was thinking of a forward-looking spot above or below the bridge - there are no lights forward of the bridge because they would interfere with vision from the bridge.

We've been on a ship with an open deck on top of the bridge, and several ships which have a wrap-around promenade which includes under the bridge. Places to get away from it all at night, alone on the ocean, usually with a stiff breeze (or sometimes considerably more) through the hair.

Peaceful reflection, or star-gazing 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Stargazing tends to be poor, I’m an amateur astronomer and the issues you run into are the lights, it’s bright at night on a cruise ship, and stability. Pushing magnification much beyond handheld binoculars is nigh impossible, you’ll get to maybe 10x before the ship’s motion makes it too pronounced.

• Like 1