Local bus

marnie2005

3 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Has anyone ever taken the local bus from the cruise port in Maui to Lahaina? Is it better to take a taxi?

Assuming you mean that your ship is docking in Kahului. Some ships will anchor off Lahaina and tender in so no transport needed-- worth checking and making sure. 

From Kahului a taxi or Uber will be your fastest way to Lahaina and back. The bus will take about an hour and a half vs about 40 minutes in a taxi/Uber. 3+ hours of my day would be a lot to give up to save a bit and take the bus. Lahaina is definitely worthwhile though-- cute little town with fun shopping and great dining. 

Also worth checking if your ship is running a bus from the pier to Lahaina and back-- some do. Personally I would prefer the freedom of taking my own private transport at the times I would want to go, but the ship's bus would be a decent compromise between the local bus and a taxi.

There is a chance you'll hit traffic but the bus or car will hit the same traffic so doesn't really factor in on the comparison. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

We are docked Kahului, leaning towards a taxi as the ship’s transportation leaves in the morning and only have 4 hours in Lahaina. Thank you!

Just be aware an Uber or taxi could take a while to get one. Try to pre-arrange a driver.

We just returned from a Hawaiian cruise.  At the advise of several folks on these boards, we took the bus from Kahului to Ma'alaea Harbor, and friends took the bus to Lahaina.  It was SO easy and cheap! We left the port area, and after leaving their "walkway", took a right. We walked along the sidewalks for about 15 minutes until we reached Queen Ka'ahumanu Center.  This is the shopping area with the bus stop. A security guard graciously directed us to the place to buy tickets and meet the bus. It couldn't have been simpler, and cost each of us $4.00 for round trip!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Thank you so much for this information! I think that’s the way we will go! Di you also take the bus back?? was it just as easy from Lahaina back to cruise port?

There is one bus that goes between the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center (Kahului, 1 mile from the cruise terminal) and Lahaina (one stop at the Wharf Cinemas) and it runs ONCE AN HOUR. If you miss the 2:30PM bus, the next one is 3:30PM and the trip takes 1 hour.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:11 PM, pcvtmom said:

We just returned from a Hawaiian cruise.  At the advise of several folks on these boards, we took the bus from Kahului to Ma'alaea Harbor, and friends took the bus to Lahaina.  It was SO easy and cheap! We left the port area, and after leaving their "walkway", took a right. We walked along the sidewalks for about 15 minutes until we reached Queen Ka'ahumanu Center.  This is the shopping area with the bus stop. A security guard graciously directed us to the place to buy tickets and meet the bus. It couldn't have been simpler, and cost each of us $4.00 for round trip!!