Dietary/special needs on Princess

Trixie21

We are from the UK and looking at a possible Ireland and Scotland cruise on Regal Princess in May 2023 (round-trip Southampton).

My wife is celiac and may have to travel with fluids which she will administer herself.

This would be our first time on Princess (previously sailed Royal Caribbean) and we have chosen this as a possible option due to it being UK round-trip and predominantly UK ports due to my wife's condition .

How do Princess cope with dietary needs such as Celiac (she has other dietary restrictions as well ) and is travelling with fluids (we may need an actual fridge to store them in ) even an option ?

We have a lot of questions which need answered before we even think of booking and I will get my travel agent to contact Princess to try to get answers , but it would be great if someone had first hand experience to share!

The price looks really good with free drinks etc included and Regal looks like a great ship.

Does anyone have links to current Princess MDR menus ?

Thanks all!

If you have a look on my profile, there is a link to my travel blog, which is about gluten free cruising (I don't think I'm allowed to put the link directly in posts, as I've had it removed before).

We've done 2 cruises on Princess, and have a 3rd next month.

The blog has photos of menus, what to do to order your meals ahead of time, and what our general experience was like. We rated Princess fairly highly, although their baked gluten-free goods like cakes/muffins taste awful!

I can't help with the fluids thing unfortunately, but I'm sure Princess will be able to answer all your questions.

You may very well have seen this article (just Google "Princess Cruises Celiac")

https://sweetcsdesigns.com/cruising-with-celiac-caribbean-princess/

The article focuses on the Caribbean Princess...but I can't imagine that there would be any difference between ships in this regard. (I could be wrong!)

Being a regular cruiser on Princess and a celiac, I can report that Princess does a great job taking care of us.   But be advised, that YOU will have to make an active roll in the process.  I don’t believe that listing you condition in the allergy section does much.

In the buffet, seek out a chief (not a cook) .  They wear the tall white hat.  They will walk you around and show you what is safe.   They are very knowable and gracious, and although they are busy,  always make time to help. Surprisingly, on Royal Class ships, the buffet is much better for a celiac with a wide variety of choices.

the speciality restaurants will all accommodate you with delicious food, again, be sure to advise them when booking and checking in.  And great GF pizza in the Alfredo’s or Gege’s ( but not on “slices” -the on deck pizza place)

the MDR is a bit tricky, complicated by anytime dinning.  Pick a dinning room and stick with it so you get to know the head waiter or manager-or what ever they are calling it these days.  He will give you the menu for the next day so you can preorder.

After a while, you learn what is safe and it get easier.   

• Like 1