5 Year Hiatus, What’s Different?

Classiccruiser777

We are “Diamond” on Cunard but haven’t cruised since about 5 years ago and we have a few questions.

How does the food compare now to then? We have always dined in the Britannia restaurant so please no comparisons to QG or PG.

Are the laundromats still complimentary and is soap still included?

Has the entertainment, including the enrichment lectures, declined in quality?

Has the internet connectivity improved, declined or stayed about the same?

Nothing has changed for the worse.  I've lost count of how many Cunard cruises I've take over the last five years and I've several others booked, taking me well into 2024 .  I'm quite satisfied with the onboard product and the Cunard brand.

Laundrettes are still complimentary & soap is included.

Entertainment & Insight lectures are still as good and professional  as they have been for years.

When you find a cruise line that has excellent Wifi please let me know.   

• Like 4

We're Diamond as well. After the COVID hiatus, we made two crossings on QM2 last summer. We thought that the food in Britannia was as good as ever. Service at dinner was a bit hit and miss. Our wine steward, who may have been a new hire, seemed unprepared and overworked. The laundromats were complementary and soap was included. We're not great fans of the Cunard production shows to begin with, and we were less impressed last summer than we usually are. We thought that most of the lectures were not as good as they have been, although this too is a matter of taste. Internet was spotty and slow. The so-called premium plan didn't deliver premium service. We could never connect with the internet in our stateroom for more than two or three minutes. But all this said, we were very happy to be onboard again and we had a wonderful time. 

Edited by Thaxted
typos
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

We are “Diamond” on Cunard but haven’t cruised since about 5 years ago and we have a few questions.

How does the food compare now to then? We have always dined in the Britannia restaurant so please no comparisons to QG or PG.

Are the laundromats still complimentary and is soap still included?

Has the entertainment, including the enrichment lectures, declined in quality?

Has the internet connectivity improved, declined or stayed about the same?

I can only look back to 2019 but the food hasn't got worse since then.  The laundromats are still free, and busy, as is the soap although it's now powder-in-a-box with a scoop, rather than the old individual sachets.  The lectures seem as good in-the-round and variable in practice as before; the internet connectivity is now much better.  Since the pandemic I'd say the staff are less experienced and the service a bit more haphazard, but just as friendly and helpful as before.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

We sailed this past May (westbound TA) after a 4 year hiatus and found the food to be as good or better than previously. There was no cutback in menu offerings. Service in all of the food venues was slightly off because there were so many new staff members but it wasn't from a lack of trying.

The entertainment seemed even better and there was more of it. I'm thinking they may have booked additional entertainment in case of COVID cancellations. The Cunard Singers and Dancers were were outstanding.

We only used the laundromat once but all three washers were open. Never had that happen before but we were sailing with a reduced passenger load. No charge and laundry soap provided.

The insights program was excellent, as usual, with good diversity in their lecturers. 

Finally, Cunard continues to maintain their usual standard of internet, -D

I'm sure that Cunard is trying to offer the same consistent product experience that they did pre COVID but this is hard to do in the hospitality industry right now. 

We had a wonderful Crossing.

Jack