Ferry to Isle of Capri

lilk8

Has anyone taken the ferry from the Port in Napoli to the Isle of Capri on their own?  If so do you have any suggestions to make the process as easy as possible? Did you pre-purchase your ferry tickets and is one ferry faster than the others? Thanks! 

I've done it several times.  There are two different ports for ferries from Naples to Capri.

The port with the fast ferries is Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port.

The port for the slower, larger ferries is Porta di Massa, about a third of a mile further up the port from the cruise terminal.

The fast ferries all take the same 50 minutes or so to make the crossing.

Simply pick the one with the departure time that best suits your arrival.  

There is no need to purchase the return on the same line, again pick the time that works best for you.  There is no financial benefit to purchasing both from one company, they are sold as two individual tickets.

Normally I suggest waiting until you're there to purchase the tickets as they are difficult/impossible to change or get refunded if you miss the ferry or don't go at all.  However, passenger loads last year were enormous so purchasing in advance is something to think about.  If you do it, buy directly from the ferry operator, not through a third party.

The current schedule can be seen here, but more crossings will be added as the season approaches:  2023 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

Here are the web sites for the two primary operators between Naples and Capri:

NLG » Official website (navlib.it)

Naples - Capri | Snav

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I've done it several times.  There are two different ports for ferries from Naples to Capri.

The port for the slower, larger ferries is Porta di Massa, about a third of a mile further up the port from the cruise terminal.

There is no need to purchase the return on the same line, again pick the time that works best for you.  There is no financial benefit to purchasing both from one company, they are sold as two individual tickets.

Normally I suggest waiting until you're there to purchase the tickets as they are difficult/impossible to change or get refunded if you miss the ferry or don't go at all.  However, passenger loads last year were enormous so purchasing in advance is something to think about.  If you do it, buy directly from the ferry operator, not through a third party.

The current schedule can be seen here, but more crossings will be added as the season approaches:  2023 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

Naples - Capri | Snav

This is very helpful, we will be there next summer, again 🙂

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Naples - Capri | Snav

Hello. That's really helpful thanks. Are they reliable do you know? We're thinking of taking the ferry to Capri and back in June. We're in port from 7am to 7pm. If we wanted to say catch an 8am there and maybe a 4pm back.. or do you think maybe a 3pm. I'm very conservative and like to be back with a couple of hours up my sleeve for unforseen issues. 

Yes, they are reliable, with the exception of weather that makes a crossing impossible.  That's highly unlikely in the summer, and if the weather is that bad you probably wouldn't want to go over anyway.

I always recommend taking the next to the last transport back that will get you there in time, or anything before that.  Choose what makes you comfortable, but do purchase your return ticket in the morning, don't wait until the afternoon because you will risk getting shut out.  A couple of times I've stopped at the ticket office on Capri right after arriving to purchase my return ticket, if I didn't have time to do it in the morning at Naples.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. It says to check-in at the ferry 30-mins prior. If our ship docks at 7am.. is it realistic to book an 8.05am ferry if we need to check in 30-mins earlier? Do you recommend booking well in advance.. or could I do it a day or 2 before whilst on the ship? I guess then I wouldn't be able to print the tickets.. but presumably they would be digital tickets that you would show on your phone like air-tickets? Thank you. 

I think you are making this more difficult than it need be.  You can simply walk (from the ship) over to the nearby ferry port (Molo Beverello) and check the schedule boards for the next fast ferry (there are two different companies and their tickets ARE NOT interchangable).  You simply go to the ticket window and buy your tickets (cash or major credit cards) and than walk to the pier.  It is that simple.  We suggest that once you arrive on Capri you stop at the ticket office (right off the pier) check the return schedules (you again choose from two companies) and buy your return tickets (for Molo Beverello).  Than you are good to go.  Make sure to head back down to the Capri Ferry pier a little early (there are some nearby cafes and shopping if you get there a bit too early).  

I have no clue if either or both companies issue digital tickets.  On all of our trips (and there have been many) we simply bought our tickets which were paper (remember when some folks actually used real tickets?).  

There is nowhere for advance check-in.  When the ferry starts to load (usually 15-30 min in advance) you simply show your ticket, step aboard, and find a seat.  No rocket science here and no need to even have a "device."

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think you are making this more difficult than it need be.  You can simply walk (from the ship) over to the nearby ferry port (Molo Beverello) and check the schedule boards for the next fast ferry (there are two different companies and their tickets ARE NOT interchangable).  You simply go to the ticket window and buy your tickets (cash or major credit cards) and than walk to the pier.  It is that simple.  We suggest that once you arrive on Capri you stop at the ticket office (right off the pier) check the return schedules (you again choose from two companies) and buy your return tickets (for Molo Beverello).  Than you are good to go.  Make sure to head back down to the Capri Ferry pier a little early (there are some nearby cafes and shopping if you get there a bit too early).  

I have no clue if either or both companies issue digital tickets.  On all of our trips (and there have been many) we simply bought our tickets which were paper (remember when some folks actually used real tickets?).  

There is nowhere for advance check-in.  When the ferry starts to load (usually 15-30 min in advance) you simply show your ticket, step aboard, and find a seat.  No rocket science here and no need to even have a "device."

Hank

Cheers. So long-story-short; we don't need to pre-book tickets (i'd got it in my head from some other threads that we needed to).. just rock on up and do things as normal. 

10 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Cheers. So long-story-short; we don't need to pre-book tickets (i'd got it in my head from some other threads that we needed to).. just rock on up and do things as normal. 

I never would as the ride over to Capri is depending on the weather. With a bumpy sea you don´t want to make that ride! And with even more bad weather the ferry service is disconnected. This can also happen during summer time. So always have a plan B for your stay in Naples.

steamboats

2 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I never would as the ride over to Capri is depending on the weather. With a bumpy sea you don´t want to make that ride! And with even more bad weather the ferry service is disconnected. This can also happen during summer time. So always have a plan B for your stay in Naples.

steamboats

You never would what - book the tickets in advance or get them when you get there?