A dining room suggestion for first timers

RB Bonzo

I was going to post this in the recent thread by the OP who wasn't happy with the food on his recent cruise (among other complaints). But, then I thought that it was a little off topic and would be better in a separate thread.

We once booked a last minute cruise on a line that I won't identify here. I researched it before we booked and saw that many people were less than enamored with the quality of the food. Although we certainly enjoy fine dining, we tend to "go with the flow" of things and decided to go ahead with it due to the desperate need to get away and the relatively cheap price. It was on this cruise that I discovered a trick that has never let me down.

When you order, listen to your server's suggestions. They know their kitchens' product and what the other passengers like or dislike. So, if they recommend either the chicken or the fish, don't order the lamb because you usually prefer it or the description sounds good. This is particularly true if you have the 2nd seating, because they may be aware of how dishes are turning out that night.

Every time we followed the suggestion, we were pleased. Every time we ignored it, we regretted having done so. We have since found this to usually be the case on cruise lines with better reputations for their cuisine. Unless you have a moral or religious objection to eating something recommended, or unless the dish is something that you know you just won't enjoy no matter how well prepared it may be, you will USUALLY be more pleased with the food if you order what your server suggests.

Have any other experienced cruisers made similar or contrary observations?

Sometimes a waiter will even steer you away from something...listen to him/her. Once our waiter even brought his recommended dish along with the one I wanted to try because he was sure I'd like it better. He was right! If your waiter doesn't recommend something specific, ask for his recommendations for the meal choices. I do this at restaurants on land too, and it usually ends up in my favor.

Good suggestions. Also, most folks are aware that if they don't like a particular item (whether it be appetizer, soup, salad, entree, or dessert), another item will gladly be brought.....even if you have to go through all six or seven items to find one you like.:D

I agree. The one exception is when the waiter doesn't personally like a particular food. We were on first seeting. I followed our waiter's recommendations throughout a cruise --- with great results, until one day he didn't recommend the veal steak which I had my eyes set on. He really wasn't familiar with it and for that reason alone he steered folks away. I ordered it anyway...

It was SOOOOOO good, I ended up ordering a second one. He recommended it to the second seating.

On Carnival and I think most lines, you can order off the menu, like a basic steak or chicken meal that is not on the menu. My DD doesn't care for a lot of sauces, etc. and just asked for a steak and baked potato.

Archived