HAL HIA NS vs MSC Meraviglia drinks and wifi

tonyfall1

Hello,

I have not cruised in 20 years. We are looking at a Western Caribbean cruise. We are in our 50's. We are trying to decide between HAL HIA NS ocean view cabin vs MSC drinks and wifi balcony. They both are about the same price. We appreciate good food and drinks, good entertainment but also like to have fun. We act younger than our age.

I have not sailed MSC but I'm pretty familiar with HAL.  Based on your last 2 sentences, I do not recommend HAL for you.  My last HAL cruise was on a sister ship to NS and due to the massive cutbacks in entertainment in activities, I vowed to never sail them again unless on their newest Pinnacle Class ships.  I mean...movies and port lectures for the mainstage entertainment on some nights?  C'mon.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 7:47 AM, tonyfall1 said:

Hello,

I have not cruised in 20 years. We are looking at a Western Caribbean cruise. We are in our 50's. We are trying to decide between HAL HIA NS ocean view cabin vs MSC drinks and wifi balcony. They both are about the same price. We appreciate good food and drinks, good entertainment but also like to have fun. We act younger than our age.

If “NS” refers to Nieuw Statendam (Pinnacle-class), I would definitely go with HAL.  What are your ports and ships?  I think that would be the deciding factor for me.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

If “NS” refers to Nieuw Statendam (Pinnacle-class), I would definitely go with HAL.  What are your ports and ships?  I think that would be the deciding factor for me.

50 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

NS is New Statendam. MSC Meraviglia. Both Western Carribbean.

Oh geez, my bad.  For some reason, I was thinking Niew Amsterdam.  Sorry about that.

In that case, I think I would lean toward the HAL option.  Those new Pinnacle Class ships are beautiful.  

Neither itinerary excites me, but in my opinion, Half Moon Cay is the most beautiful of all cruise line private islands.  

• Like 1

I will ignore itineraries and just speak to the two cruise lines (5* on HAL and 8 cruises on MSC).  They are truly apples to oranges when doing an overall comparison.  HAL is a relatively sedate cruise line that tends to attract many older (i.e. seniors) cruises.  Even much of the entertainment tends to be aimed towards older cruisers be it the selection of music or shows (HAL no longer has real Production Shows).

MSC, on the other hand, is truly like two different cruise lines.  The normal MSC is akin to lines like Carnival and RCI, where folks are packed like sardines on the pool deck and the atmosphere is for a somewhat younger cruiser and families.  The other MSC is the Yacht Club which we think is generally an amazing experience and one of the best values in the entire cruise world.  Within the YC enclave (which is sealed from the rest of the ship with electronic doors) there is lots of space, amazing personal service, and an atmosphere that rivals luxury cruise lines,

Hank

• Like 1