Mailing Stuff Home

Vagabond51

Did a few searches here and nothing popped up. Is it possible to mail "stuff", such as spices or small mementos from ship board? Does Viking provide any type of assitance for this, or it it best done on shore? Perhaps obtaining small boxes or packing materials in one port and carrying a small box off ship at another port to mail. Is this allowed? Does Viking have knowledge of facilities that would assist in such endeavors at ports or should I be micro managing this too (that's the wife speaking over my shoulder). 🙂

1 hour ago, Vagabond51 said:

Did a few searches here and nothing popped up. Is it possible to mail "stuff", such as spices or small mementos from ship board? Does Viking provide any type of assitance for this, or it it best done on shore? Perhaps obtaining small boxes or packing materials in one port and carrying a small box off ship at another port to mail. Is this allowed? Does Viking have knowledge of facilities that would assist in such endeavors at ports or should I be micro managing this too (that's the wife speaking over my shoulder). 🙂

I can't assist re Viking in particular, but other cruise lines I'm familiar with do not provide a mailing service for goods, as it becomes very complex (charges different by port, labour intensive, etc.). They might be able to help with providing packing stuff - you might ask them directly.

Depending on where you are cruising and how much you are buying of something (spices caught my eye), merchants will sometimes offer a shipping service, or at least pack goods well for you to include in your luggage.

Regarding "buy here, ship later", be VERY cautious about taking souvenirs or food stuffs off of the ship. Many jurisdictions strictly prohibit that (Oz and NZ for example) and the penalties for doing so are very painful. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

When I was in Tangiers, we did a spice tour . We all bought various spices and Argan oil.all packed nicely in small boxes I  brought them back in my checked luggage in in zip lock bags, no problem. 

Friends bought some pottery pasta bowls and a painting in Siena Italy. The store packed them and shipped them  home for them. No problem. The shipping cost was expensive but they wanted these items.

I bought a Turkish rug (4x6)in the  Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. They folded it up and delivered it to my hotel. in a nice soft sided bag. I carried  it  on board as a carry on. But I had to check my original carry on  bag and that cost me $50.00 but worth it. 

My friend always takes a soft sided tote to put  her treasure or mementos she buys on a trip and it is her carry on for travel back home.

Edited by Azulann

My DW has stopped leaving her postcards with the desk on both the Ocean and River cruises. While never failing to post them, the worst result has been that they don't get posted until the ship returns to a "Home" port, the beginning or end port.

She has the best luck where we've sought out an actual post office and mailed from there. In short, I think your best result will be to seek out an actual post office or something like a "UPS Store" that will pack things up and  ship it for you. 

You would not be able to do it from the ship.  No packaging supplies, no postage.  Too many hoops to jump through.  We have had great results with numerous shipping of large or fragile souvenirs.  One that comes to mind is a pair of his and hers Carnival masks from Venice.  Also separately some glassware.  The shop shipped them via UPS.  Available almost everywhere.  If the shop won't ship it two choices, don't buy from them or buy and find the nearest UPS center.  They take care of all customs requirements, insurance, etc.  Might not be cheap but then neither was your cruise....🥃

• Like 3

DW tried binging spices in zip lock bags home and a friendly US Customs dog came over and sat down next to our luggage. They confiscated all food stuffs not in original factory sealed containers.

As far as as shipping goods there is usually a store or desk at your departing airport that will package and ship items. 

• Like 2