Hoping this is the right board, has anybody here done the 15 day West coast(LB)/Hawaii during Nov/Dec ?

And can advise me just how rough the Pacific can be? I realize NO one can predict what the weather's gonna be like on any given day during a cruise. I have read somewhere ( I think it was on CC that they had two pretty rough sea days during the sailing to the Hawaii islands. The only cruise the wife and I have had was two, Seattle/Alaska in 2010 and last August a ten day from SFO TO Alaska. Neither had anything approaching rough seas.

Last Christmas we made reservations on a R/T November cruise out of Long beach to Hawaii. We are in our late sixties and while I'm in pretty good shape my wife does have to use a walker for anything considered walking great distance. I'm afraid with her using a walker any real rough seas might be a problem. This will be our longest cruise and she's so excited about it BUT I don't want to scare her about the possability of rough seas and have her decide maybe we've bitten off too much for her. 😞 Any info or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated, TIA

Mac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Made the crossing a number of times, every one is different.

I've read most all of your posts, and believe you would defitinly be considered an expert on rough seas while serving as a seaman AND passenger. So, in your expert opinion was there one Pacific trip on a cruise ship to Hawaii from the west coast, with rough seas, that gave you pause with the thought, "WHAT have I gotten myself into, on such a tiny ship' ?

Thanks, in such a rapid reply,

Mac

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

I've read most all of your posts, and believe you would defitinly be considered an expert on rough seas while serving as a seaman AND passenger. So, in your expert opinion was there one Pacific trip on a cruise ship to Hawaii from the west coast, with rough seas, that gave you pause with the thought, "WHAT have I gotten myself into, on such a tiny ship' ?

Thanks, in such a rapid reply,

Mac

Worst I experienced was just West of Hawaii when we were heading to Japan. Had to "Hove to" for a couple of days, which means head into the wind and steam at the minimum speed to maintain steering. Over the time we were hove-to, we lost 30 miles.

Very few crossings are that bad. Provided you don't experience a frontal depression, you have the trade winds behind you outbound and right ahead on the return. If you get the trade winds, they normally max out about 25 kts.

• Like 1