Japan - Cash or Credit Card

coupeb

When I went there last April, I used my card (Amex) for almost all of the store purchases. Maybe not at mom-and-pop kind stores, though.
For trains, specifically speaking of JR lines, ticket machines do not accept foreign issued credit cards. You must use cash or purchase at the ticket counter. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:03 AM, kellyclayt said:

Has anyone used the Suica IC card from their apple wallets?https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154

I installed the app on my iphone 13 and my wife's phone. After doing so, added yen from one of our credit cards that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. When balance gets low, simply add funds right on the app. Very easy and efficient. 

The only downside is that any funds left on the app when you leave Japan can only be refunded to a Japanese bank account. Unless you have one of those, it's a use it or lose it proposition for any remaining funds. Spend it down towards the end of your trip. 

Also, unlike buying a physical Suica (or Pasmo) card, you do not have to pay a deposit on the card because there isn't one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I installed the app on my iphone 13 and my wife's phone. After doing so, added yen from one of our credit cards that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. When balance gets low, simply add funds right on the app. Very easy and efficient. 

The only downside is that any funds left on the app when you leave Japan can only be refunded to a Japanese bank account. Unless you have one of those, it's a use it or lose it proposition for any remaining funds. Spend it down towards the end of your trip. 

Also, unlike buying a physical Suica (or Pasmo) card, you do not have to pay a deposit on the card because there isn't one. 

Thank you, any idea how widespread use of these cards is?

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Japan October 2022 and basically used cash, unless it was for a larger purchase (like buying knives to bring home).  We had brought about $400USD worth of Japanese Yen with us.  We took the train from the airport to our hotel so we bought our train passes at the airport train station (there was someone there assisting people).  When we needed additional cash, we would use the ATMs in the 7-11 and similar 'corner stores'.

Do use Google Maps to navigate the train system.

42 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We were in Japan October 2022 and basically used cash, unless it was for a larger purchase (like buying knives to bring home).  We had brought about $400USD worth of Japanese Yen with us.  We took the train from the airport to our hotel so we bought our train passes at the airport train station (there was someone there assisting people).  When we needed additional cash, we would use the ATMs in the 7-11 and similar 'corner stores'.

Do use Google Maps to navigate the train system.

Tell us about using the ATMs in the 7-11s there.  Can you use your Visa card?  Can you get a screen with instructions in English?  Is there an ATM charge?  We have been to Japan many times, but never used an ATM.  I usually just go to a local bank and change U.S.$ for yen as I know that I will receive a fair exchange rate.  We have also used a currency exchange machine located as you leave the cruise terminal in Yokohama.

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

ell us about using the ATMs in the 7-11s there.  Can you use your Visa card?  Can you get a screen with instructions in English?  Is there an ATM charge?

We used our ATM Debit card, having left additional cash in our account back home for this purpose.  There was an ATM fee, and our bank (Chase) charged us for using a non Chase ATM.  That said, we didn't take out $20 of Yen at a time, but more like $300 US equivalent each time.  Since you have been to Japan, you know that there really isn't any 'street crime', so we felt safe taking that much money out.  Spouse says next time we would probably take out more to cut down on fees, and because we were using mostly cash.

You could use your Visa CC, but you may be charged for cash advance by your cc company.

ATM instructions did have an English option.  The ATMs were very convenient, because the corner stores are everywhere.  

We converted our remaining Yen to $USD at the Haneda Airport after doing our duty free shopping.

• Like 1

If you do use cash in Japan, generally you don't hand it directly to the cashier, but rather place it on a small tray, which the cashier takes.  Your change back will be presented to you on a tray.

If you are able to get some Yen from home before you leave, I would do so.  Ask for an assortment of bill denominations.  If you know that a 10,000 Yen is equivalent to about $75 USD, that would be useful to know if you were making a small purchase.  1,000 Yen is about $7.50 USD

There are a fair number of coins used, so be sure to carry some with you. Having a coin purse, or even a small plastic bag would be helpful.  Coins also come in handy if you visit Temples or Shrines, as well as small shops.

Make sure that you bring a tote bag with you for your purchases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1