Something to be aware of!

I was reading, and came across the International cruise victims site. I think after reading some of the stories, that we may need to be aware of our surrounding and what is going on. The stories were a bit scarry It seems that many of the events have only taken place in the last 4 years. This post maybe to just heed the warning, things do happen, even we least expect them to. Take it for what it's worth. I wish all cruisers a safe and happy cruise!

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org

we may need to be aware of our surrounding and what is going on

Nothing against your post because people should know but the above statement upsets me. The reason it does is because we should always be aware of our surroundings and what is going on no matter where we are. This is something that everybody should know, they should have been teaching this in kindergarten (remember look both ways before crossing the street).

Again nothing against your post but because of all the media attention lately on cruise ships it seems some people out there think that because they are on a ship in the ocean that common sense could be left at home.

OK, let me rephrase it, We need to be MORE aware... We get so caught up with all the fun and excitement of the vacation, that we sometimes let our guard down. I think that it is a very important that we stay safe. I had just come upon this site and thought that it would be some info that maybe other cruiser may want to be aware of. SO i am sorry if my statement upset you, it was not inteded to upset anyone. Cruise safe. :)

I read one of the items on this website, and something does not add up.

The gentleman stated that his son was accosted on the Legend of the Seas, in 2000. In the article he stated that he was in cabin R1234. This cabin does not exist on the Legend of the Seas. Furthermore, this numbering system is a number that is used by Carnival. Something fishy?

Hypo

Nothing against your post because people should know but the above statement upsets me. The reason it does is because we should always be aware of our surroundings and what is going on no matter where we are. This is something that everybody should know, they should have been teaching this in kindergarten (remember look both ways before crossing the street).

Again nothing against your post but because of all the media attention lately on cruise ships it seems some people out there think that because they are on a ship in the ocean that common sense could be left at home.

It shouldn't upset you, I think that she was merely trying to get peoples attention as to what was going on. I agree, we all should be aware, but maybe some of those people(after reading all of the stories on that site)were aware, but just got caught off guard, or obviously unaware that someting was gonna happen to them. Some of the suggestions made by their family member were goo suggestions. ie, like taking a dring from the waiter, or at the bar and watch them make it if possible. What ever it takes. Wether it is at sea or on land! I found it to be a good wake up call.

I don't know if that is the same man (but I think it is). His 3 year old was almost kidnapped...the main question I had (as a mother) was...if this guy was already suspicious...because he was a cop in Australia...then why was his son walking behind him...I don't know about anyone else..but on a ship..or anywhere for that matter, I would be holding my 3 year olds hand or have him ahead of me. Especially if he was already being followed!!

Then the fact that his family stayed on board and he was put off at the next port...I don't know, it just doesn't add up.

dei6360 is right--cruising is no more dangerous or safer than any other thing you may do in life. It is what you make of it. You are responsible for your own behavior and your own vunerability to danger. Of course, the odd accident can happen no matter what precautions you take, but that can happen anywhere. If this keeps people off the cruise ships, so be it! More for me!

I saw these folks on FoxNews this morning. It's the Smiths, again.

Let's be fair and truthful. People do not become wonderful and pure because they go on vacation and they surely do not become pure because they are merchant mariners. To think of 3000-5000 people on a confined ship as haveing a renewed morality that will not permit them to take advantage of others is phenominally naive. Expecially when so many spend the week intoxicated.

Cruise ships are not DisneyWorld and they surely are not Heaven. I've researched it and I speak as a well informed expert :D

After reading through the threads, two things make me think:

1) I'm glad I'm traveling with my wife. If my "buddies" think I shacked up in another room for 3 days, nobody would look for me. If I don't come "home" to my wife after 30 minutes of being away, I'll be dead anyway for not paying enough attention to her. The buddy system is probably the best on the boat.

2) I'm glad to know that if (God forbid) something bad were to happen, the ship's security isn't always going to follow the same rules as regular cops. It sounds like the ship comes first - cover their ass, then appear to cooperate.

I understand that any and all of these stories may be made up. Just gives you something to think about.

Archived