Meraviglia Port Questions

tonyfall1

Hi All,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in 20 years in February.  I have some questions about the ports we will be visiting. I don't necessarily think we want to do any excursions, but we would like to leave the ship and just walk around and check some things out. Are all of the ports below suitable to just walk around and maybe hit the beach or go for a swim? I know Ocean Kay is but not sure about the others. I also understand the risk of missing the ship when it leaves. I am not talking about going miles away but just walking around stretching our legs near the port. Thanks.

Ports

Nassau Bahamas

Ocean Cay

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Edited by tonyfall1

Yes, all of the ports listed are easily walkable in my experience.

We are taking the same itinerary in February.

In Nassau, pick up a map (online or from the cruise ship) and explore some of the shops and smaller attractions nearby.

In Cozumel, there are two possible docks according to this website...https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/cozumel-port-26

In the past when we have been on MSC at this port, it was at Punta Langosta.

In Costa Maya, there is a cruise made outdoor mall right at the port. If you want to go to town, you will need a taxi. But there's plenty to see at the port.

You may get better answers to your questions by going to the Ports of call boards.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

• Like 1

Just returned from a cruise to Nassau. Be prepared to be bombarded by offers for tours, cabs, etc. But plenty of shops to visit so a good time. We had two RCCL Quantum-class ships, (4K+ passengers each), Carnival Conquest (3K passengers), and us (Carnival Legend) with 2K passengers but the port did not seem overly crowded. Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Just returned from a cruise to Nassau. Be prepared to be bombarded by offers for tours, cabs, etc. But plenty of shops to visit so a good time. We had two RCCL Quantum-class ships, (4K+ passengers each), Carnival Conquest (3K passengers), and us (Carnival Legend) with 2K passengers but the port did not seem overly crowded. Bon Voyage!

Yeah, definitely helps that a lot of seasoned cruisers are just tired of Nassau and so decide to skip it.  And a large portion of those getting off are going to some combination of Blue Lagoon, Balmoral, or Paradise Islands.  I know I’m seriously debating about if it is worth getting off at all next week since it will be my third stop in a year.  Especially since I have a Cariloha outlet easily accessible in Vegas 😉

• Like 1

Nassau we are staying on ship.  Usual offers for everything including pot.  Last time we went for a walk.  DW disappeared.  Back tracked a few stores and a snake oil salesman had pulled her into store and put gunk under eyes.  Trying to extricate her from store took a bit.

OP, we don't usually do ship excursions but have done some on MSC as they don't rip you off for most excursions.  Last time in Jamaica we did the plantation and make lunch one.  It was quite nice and fun.

• Like 1