After-the-Fact (not live) Jewel Panama Canal Jan 14-26 Trip report/review

Sitting here

15 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

Teresa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed, thoughtful review!  We are on the Jewel this Sat., 2/4, from Fuerte Amador to 2/13 Colon.  Hitting Costa Rica, the ABC's, and Colombia.  Really appreciate the schedule you posted and info about the weather (I dread the humidity).

Have been trying to do the Canal since 2017 and it looks like we're finally getting to go.  It has been a bucket list item for my husband for a long time.  We are in the Haven, a forward facing Deluxe Owner's Suite with balcony, so we've got two balconies - one on the side and one facing the front.  Thanks to your review, we now know to look at the aft of the ship for some good views, as well.

@Firstin87 We will be doing the same itinerary but in March. Please post how embarkation goes in Fuerte Amador. There really isn't a whole lot of information about how it is all going to work as far as check in etc... Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Just a suggestion: when you decide to book your Panama Cruise, book from the West Coast to the East Coast.  This puts the actually Canal Crossing toward the end of your cruise and not at the beginning.

There can be cruises from the East Coast that make the Canal transit at the end of the cruise. You just have to look for them.

Right now the Norwegian Gem is on a voyage that embarked in New York on January 25 that will make a full transit of the Canal on its last day, disembarking in Panama City (Fuerte Amador) early next week.

• Like 1

Thanks for such a detailed review. I really enjoyed "being there" with you as you transited the Panama Canal! This is one cruise I very much hope to go on and now I have a good idea of what to experience. Plus! It sounds like I need to book an aft balcony for the cruise. I really want to see everything happening, even though seeing a mule from a side balcony would be cool. I can get that experience from an open deck. I'm like you, and would be sweating in the sun, so need a bit of air conditioning as respite from the heat. 

Again, thanks a lot for reviewing this! 

Hi Quillwercruisers,

I'll be sure to post about embarkation when we return in the middle of Feb.  We booked transportation through NCL (air, transport from airport to hotel, hotel to port, and port to airport).  We got the below email from NCL yesterday (1/30) - as usual titled "Important Information from NCL", so don't always assume it's just another nagging email about watching the safety video - the the meeting place for embarkation being changed.

Having never been to Panama, I don't know how far the Panama Convention Center is from the the port in Fuerte Amador, but I assume it is close by.  I'll post the details when we return.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Norwegian Jewel.

In order to provide a smooth embarkation experience, embarkation for Norwegian Jewel's February 4, 2023 sailing will now take place at the Panama Convention Center. Please arrive at the arrival time you selected during online check-in.

PANAMA CONVENTION CENTER ADDRESS:
Panama Convention Center
Calle General Juan D. Peron, Panama

TRANSPORTATION TO THE PIER:
If you secured transportation to the pier through NCL, your drop-off location has been updated to reflect Panama Convention Center.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Norwegian Jewel for your dream vacation at sea!

As always, we are at your service.

• Thanks 2

On 1/29/2023 at 9:02 PM, Sitting here said:

’ll say going in that overall I was pleased with NCL, and especially with the Jewel and her crew. It wasn’t perfect, no trip ever is, but it sure was a great vacation.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughtful review. Glad you had a great vacation.

We love the Jewel and her sister ships. We first transited the Panama Canal six years ago on the Jewel, and we’re aboard the Gem right now for B2B transits. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm like you, and would be sweating in the sun, so need a bit of air conditioning as respite from the heat. 

So am I.  I am glad to be able to step inside and cool off when it gets uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, it will be a great help for those planning a Panama trip and those who have already booked one like us. We are doing the reverse trip on the 21st of March which has El Salvador in the itinerary. I noticed that you never mentioned this stop so now I’m wondering if it wasn’t in your original itinerary or it’s another port that’s been scrapped along with Nicuragua. Was Acapulco added instead of Nicuragua? I am still looking forward to the cruise but I’m thinking maybe we should have booked the Canal with the ABC itinerary.

Thanks again for your great report.

6 hours ago, Christina231955 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us, it will be a great help for those planning a Panama trip and those who have already booked one like us. We are doing the reverse trip on the 21st of March which has El Salvador in the itinerary. I noticed that you never mentioned this stop so now I’m wondering if it wasn’t in your original itinerary or it’s another port that’s been scrapped along with Nicuragua. Was Acapulco added instead of Nicuragua? I am still looking forward to the cruise but I’m thinking maybe we should have booked the Canal with the ABC itinerary.

Thanks again for your great report.

We just had an extra sea day instead of Nicaragua. El Salvador was not on our itinerary. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Quillwercruisers,

We're back from our Panama Canal cruise and I wanted to tell you about embarking at Fuerte Amador.  I wrote a lengthy post and don't want to highjack this thread, so am posting it in the general NCL forum and on the Panama forum (assuming CC lets me post it in two forums).  The title is "Embarking in Fuerte Amador, Panama - Nightmare!"

Cyndy

• Thanks 1

You created a wonderful wrap-up of your cruise! We will be on the Encore in April, and many of your details could apply to us. The Encore is the biggest ship that we will have been on, and there is much to learn about it and the itinerary. Thanks a million!🛳️

• 2 months later...