Is Mykonos a tender port?

gatorchinsky

Mykonos does have a small port that can handle a limited number of cruise ships.  Whether you dock or tender will depend on what other ships are in port and who gets the pier :).  If your info from the cruise line says dock, one would assume they will dock.  Getting into town is a hike along the road (some feel it is a bit risky to walk due to traffic) or a short ride on a bus.  Others have pointed out that there are not many taxis on Mykonos, but the island does have a pretty decent bus system (with two small bus stations in Mykonos Town).

Hank

• Like 1

To update Hank's post, there's now a water-bus which operates between the cruise berths and the village harbour. Vast improvement on the 1 1/2-mile hike or bus ride.🙂

Tenders from ships which moor off-shore take you to the village harbour. and are very efficient 

One of the rare places in the world where tendered used to be better than berthed, with the newish water-bus  there's now little difference. 

When you go there, please say hi to Petros for me (google him)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Mykonos does have a small port that can handle a limited number of cruise ships.  Whether you dock or tender will depend on what other ships are in port and who gets the pier :).  If your info from the cruise line says dock, one would assume they will dock.  Getting into town is a hike along the road (some feel it is a bit risky to walk due to traffic) or a short ride on a bus.  Others have pointed out that there are not many taxis on Mykonos, but the island does have a pretty decent bus system (with two small bus stations in Mykonos Town).

Hank

Thank you!

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

To update Hank's post, there's now a water-bus which operates between the cruise berths and the village harbour. Vast improvement on the 1 1/2-mile hike or bus ride.🙂

Tenders from ships which moor off-shore take you to the village harbour. and are very efficient 

One of the rare places in the world where tendered used to be better than berthed, with the newish water-bus  there's now little difference. 

JB 🙂

Thank you and I will google Petros!

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Hola JB (in Mexico now),

Great info and it sounds like the water bus is a fantastic option.  Certainly better than trying to walk along the road.

Hank

This past Sept we were on the NCL Gem, which docked; the other ship was anchored in the bay.

We took the free shuttle into town, but took the sea bus back to the ship. The sea bus and shuttle pickup points were close to each other.  IIRC it was only 1e, or something insignificant.  A lovely short ride along the shore, less than 10 minutes.

31 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We will be on Princess.

Can anyone tell me how we know if we will at the dock, or where we will be tendered to?

I am not sure if Princess runs a shuttle into town, for access to the bus station, or not?

Princess will likely have a shuttle bus although you may need to purchase a ticket.  Keep in mind that there are two bus stations (more like parking areas) at opposite sides of town and the bus routes vary depending on the station.   So, if you are planning at taking a local bus to a specific beach, do your pre-trip homework and know which bus station will have the right bus.

Hank

Thanks so much!

Looks like we should be the second of two large cruise ships (a third smaller ship late in the day).

So I think that means we will most likely be at the dock.

We will either take a pre-arranged sailing yacht tour, from the docks, or go to a beach.

Princess offers transfers to Elias and Paradise.

Other than that, transportation seems to be the big issue,  as we are not big on taking the buses.