New to HAL - specific questions re Neptune suite, Oosterdam, drinking age on European sailings, etc.

Jessinak

Hello,

I have primarily been an NCL cruiser in Haven suites but have decided to take the plunge on a Mediterranean Oosterdam sailing in early August 2023. I’ve done a lot of searching of this board for background information but still have a few outstanding questions ….

1.  What *exactly* is in the Neptune suite mini-bar?

2.  I saw a reference to liquid soap — is that included in the cabins? ( I am not a fan of the bar soaps at sinks.)

3.  Is the creamer available for coffee and espressos in the suites the little sealed packets? Has anyone successfully obtained real half and half or whole milk for the coffee?

4.  My husband and one daughter will be with me in a Neptune Suite. My two other daughters (ages 21 and 19) will be in an inside cabin just down the hall from us.  We have purchased Club Orange for the daughters in the inside cabin to try to even out the benefits and make sure we can embark together, disembark together, etc.  Besides their not being able to access the Neptune Club, is there anything else they will not be able to access?

5.  I believe the HAL drinking age for cruises that begin and end in Europe is 18.  Is that right?  Has anyone had experience with this — meaning a 19-year old trying to order a drink and being told “no” ? 

6.  Has anyone successfully used the “best price” guarantee on excursions?  Our trip is port heavy and we will be doing lots of excursions but there seem to be much cheaper options available through very reputable alternatives.  I’m not sure if it is worth the time to try to invoke that guarantee.

7.  Because we will be sailing in Europe, with a port-heavy itinerary (intentionally selected), I have not been very focused on any bells or whistles for my daughters for sea days or when we return early to the ship.  What are some of the best features on the Oosterdam for kids between 17 and 21? 

Sorry for the long list of questions.  I appreciate very much the helpful advice and the overall positive tone of this board (particularly as compared to a few others).

I'll try to answer a few of your questions:

• The mini-bar is similar to the ones in some hotels with a couple each of beer, wine, spirits and sodas.  This is not unique to the Neptune Suites and is in all cabins, including the inside cabin for your daughters, will have one.  Only the Pinnacle Suite gets a much more elaborate set-up.  If you don't want your daughters to have access, you can tell their stewards to remove the contents at the beginning of the cruise; many people do this so they can use the refrigerator for their own stuff.
  • The soap varies from ship-to-ship.  Our last cruise on Oosterdam, we were in the Pinnacle Suite and it had bar soap at the sinks and liquid soap in the shower, but the Neptunes might be different.
  • With Club Orange, your daughters will be able to do everything you can do, except enter the Neptune Lounge; their key cards will not work there.  However, I'm sure the concierge won't mind if you bring your daughters in one time and show them the Lounge and the amenities it has.  We have seen others do this.  Just don't give your key card to a daughter to go get you snacks.
  • Your 19-year old will be able to drink alcohol on a European cruise...at least that is what HAL's written rules say.
  • We have never tried to use HAL's best price shore excursion guarantee.  I suspect they would find a way to say the private tour is not identical so they can't honor it.  But why bother since, there are so many great private shore excursion companies that work the various ports in Europe.  Just do your research.  And in most cases the private tour will have a smaller group which usually means a better experience.
  • Your "kids" are too old for Club HAL.  Some cruises have a single/solo meet and greet they could attend to hopefully meet others their own age.  But frankly, it is not likely there will be many travelers in that age group on the cruise, since that is just not HAL's demographic.  Our two sons, who are now in their mid 20s, used Club HAL when they were in their teens, but haven't really met any companions after that.  However they just love to travel and are happy to hang out with mom and dad or go do things with just the two of them on the ship.

1 hour ago, Jessinak said:

5.  I believe the HAL drinking age for cruises that begin and end in Europe is 18.  Is that right?  Has anyone had experience with this — meaning a 19-year old trying to order a drink and being told “no” ?

I'll address this one, since we sailed from Europe with our 18 year-old last year.  Her room key card was marked "M" for minor (just like it would be for a U.S. sailing).  She only ordered a few drinks, and it was about 50/50 whether she had an issue or not.  After the first denial we asked the Neptune Lounge concierge about it, and they said to have her carry a government photo ID to show her proof of age if a particular server/bartender wanted to see it.  That seemed like a clunky solution, but it did work.

Remember that in August it will be scorchio hot!  Also the ports will be very busy as it is the main vacation time for all of Europe.

On the soap....we were in a Signature Suite on Oosterdam lasty summer and there was Elemis liquid soap dispenser between the wash basins and in the shower cubicle.  DSCN2513.JPG.2d445aed1e39ce12a7a89804d148e8ba.JPG

#4 - Your daughters will not be able to go to the Pinnacle Grill with you for breakfast (since you are on the Oosterdam).  This is a nice perk and we employ it whenever in a Neptune.  Now, if you were sailing on a Pinnacle Class ship this would not be an issue, as breakfast for Neptunes is in Club Orange dining area, which your daughters would also have access to.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

#4 - Your daughters will not be able to go to the Pinnacle Grill with you for breakfast (since you are on the Oosterdam).  This is a nice perk and we employ it whenever in a Neptune.  Now, if you were sailing on a Pinnacle Class ship this would not be an issue, as breakfast for Neptunes is in Club Orange dining area, which your daughters would also have access to.

I hadn't thought about breakfast The PG breakfast is one of the best perks of a suite. If you aren't on one of the Pinnacle class ships, CO really doesn't have much value unless it gets you a good upgrade when booking the cruise. 

I forgot about the Pinnacle Grill breakfast also in my previous post.  It is one of the best parts of being in a suite, but only open to suite guests on the non-Pinnacle-class ships.  On the Pinnacle-class ships the CO dining room is open to both suite guests and those that purchase Club Orange.