Transfer TripMate Insurance to another cruise?

CDNPolar

Frustrated trying to figure this out.

Bought TripMate cancel for any reason insurance when booking the cruise. 

We are way ahead of full payment, so only deposit on file.

We cannot go - for personal reason - on this date on this cruise.

We want to revise our itinerary to a new date and possibly the destination because of the change of dates.

We know that we can move the cruise, and deposit, BUT can we also move the TripMate insurance to the new cruise, or is that money paid and lost?

Note:  We are not really exercising any cancellation - we are revising our itinerary to a different cruise before any penalty.

Your experience and thoughts appreciated.

Last fall, I changed a 2023 cruise to a different itinerary with different dates. The TripMate insurance was transferred to the new cruise by my Viking rep. I had paid only the $25 deposit.  I have also only changed the date of a cruise in the past, with the insurance transferred. Hope that is the norm and it works for you. I use the same helpful Viking representative for all of my bookings. Note that some perks and discounts won’t be valid on the new cruise as you are booking outside of the promotional period.     

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Frustrated trying to figure this out.

We are way ahead of full payment, so only deposit on file.

We cannot go - for personal reason - on this date on this cruise.

We want to revise our itinerary to a new date and possibly the destination because of the change of dates.

We know that we can move the cruise, and deposit, BUT can we also move the TripMate insurance to the new cruise, or is that money paid and lost?

Note:  We are not really exercising any cancellation - we are revising our itinerary to a different cruise before any penalty.

Your experience and thoughts appreciated.

Prior to booking the 2023 World Cruise, we moved the booking twice to a different cruise and dates.

We retained the original booking number with the new Pax Statement showing the costs of the new cruise and also credits for all monies paid for the original, or prior cruise. It included the cruise fare, air plus, tripmate insurance, SSBP, etc.

Therefore, in our case, we did receive credit for the Tripmate costs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

As many have already posted, you can move the insurance. You cannot receive a refund, or a voucher for the cost of the insurance if you cancel using the CFAR route.

Just one note, as there have been posters elsewhere that are confused by this - the CFAR portion of the policy is offered by Viking itself (see the opening wording on the policy), not the insurance underwriter, and will only reimburse via a voucher.

The underwriter (Generali - U.S. Branch) is the issuer of the cancellation / interruption / medical portion of the policy that deals with covered events (sickness, death, etc.) and refunds cash for a covered claim. 

When you buy the TripMate policy, you are buying different coverages from two different companies - and you must deal with the proper one in case of a claim. 🍺🥌

• Like 3