Temps on the Ships in Norway

Dar & Bob

We are doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Amsterdam in early May.  I understand it is going to be chilly both in Amsterdam and in the ports.  However, from someone who has been on one of these, do the ships tend to be chilly as well.  I get chilled somewhat easily and wondering how much warm clothes to pack.  Will I need multiple layers on the ship?  

We live in Florida and I am trying to shop online while I can get some cold weather clothing on sale but don't want to go overboard (LOL)

Going to vary by ship...there isn't going to be one answer that covers every ship. 

We sailed Iceland and Greenland in July/August. For 14 days, the outside temp was never higher than mid 50s, frequently in the 40s. The inside of the ship was fine, didn't require layers.

It sounds like you might be more sensitive...and you will need at least a few layers for ashore anyway.

Yes.  layer is the answer.  Wind and waterproof outerwear and a fleece jacket underneath.  It can be cold and rainy on the outer deck and ashore.  If you are very cold-hardy, it might also be good to have a hat and mittens.  
In general, it is warm inside the ship.  Perhaps even warmer than air-conditioned ships in the Caribbean - there can be a big difference between the temperature outside and inside.

It absolutely varies by ship. Some ships have well insulated solariums that stay warm in cold temperatures, and I’ve experienced others that are too cold to use. A lot also depends on outside door placements, since ships with lots of automatic doors opening to outdoor spaces will be letting in more cooler air.

For example: Even comparing within the same cruiseline, Voyager of the Seas has a lot of spaces that are too cold for comfort in cooler climates, while Vision of the Seas is very comfortable on Northern European itineraries.

That said, I do think that Hurtigruten’s typical interior temperature runs a bit colder than the norm for the US and UK cruiselines.