Question on booking White Pass train directly with railway

cranapple17

Hello! I'm in a group of 8 family members sailing on NCL in June. We plan on booking the White Pass train excursion in Skagaway directly with the railway instead of NCL to save some money. When booking directly, do they assign you specific cars and seats or is it open seating? Just wondering if we need to book our large group all together so that we are seated together, or if each couple/family can book on their own and just board and sit together.

In the past when we’ve booked direct, we walked into town to their location and purchased our tickets. They will direct your group to specific cars with others so you will be able to sit together. There were no seat assignments. You don’t necessarily need to all book together but it would be best if you were all in the same general area together just prior to boarding so you don’t get directed to different cars. Also, make sure you’re all booking the same trip.  If you can, try to get on a car near the end of the train. The views can be spectacular rounding corners and seeing the train ahead of you. There are platforms outside at the end of each car that allows for nice unobstructed views/photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check directly with WPYRR folks for the best method to handle your group venture -

Email or phone call:

Book Alaska Shore Excursions with White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

RESERVATIONS 1-800-343-7373

You maybe able to have an all reserved car for your party -

seating in any event is not assigned -

As noted see about getting the end car or almost end car of the train -

With the loop at the Summit you will be in the same car position for the whole trip.

Car capacity is around 40 guests

• Thanks 1

We did it in May. They walked our group over, we waited while the train went to the ships first and loaded. Then they came and got us. We had a car for our time/group of people. You could go outside, front or back on The train, better pictures. Of course some people were rude, and didn’t share the primo spots. Just stood their ground and the heck with everyone else. Still bugs me…. 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:02 AM, kona_wahine said:

Of course some people were rude, and didn’t share the primo spots. Just stood their ground and the heck with everyone else. Still bugs me…. 🤷‍♀️

Thats my concern, I hear the left side of the train is best for view and I wood be very disappointed if we were stuck on the right side looking at the rock face for the majority of the trip.

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

Thats my concern, I hear the left side of the train is best for view and I wood be very disappointed if we were stuck on the right side looking at the rock face for the majority of the trip.

In the direction of travel - ascending to the Summit YES the left side looks

down and back to valley below - the right side looks at foliage - rock walls.

The descent back to Skagway this reverses as the train upon reaching the

Summit no longer just moves the locomotive power from one end of the

train to the other (like it used to be).

With a LOOP in the track at the Summit the right side looks down and back

into the valley - indeed an improvement  !

Trains going to/from Fraser are not loop reversed -

Trains going to/from Carcross I believe there is a WYE to reverse the consist

of cars and locomotive power ? 

Edited by don't-use-real-name