Current dress code suggestions.. Alaska cruise Sun

ARI421

We haven't cruised NCL in 5 years and are finally going back for an Alaskan cruise. It looks from some brief reading that the To Dress or not dress nights are gone? Now I know I can wear whatever I want anytime but people tended to get more dressed up on those 2 nights, there were photographers etc..

Just curious what is currently suggested. 

On a 9 day cruise to Alaska on the Sun.. I like dressing up but if Noone else is I will pack more casual  

1 hour ago, ARI421 said:

We haven't cruised NCL in 5 years and are finally going back for an Alaskan cruise. It looks from some brief reading that the To Dress or not dress nights are gone? Now I know I can wear whatever I want anytime but people tended to get more dressed up on those 2 nights, there were photographers etc..

Just curious what is currently suggested. 

On a 9 day cruise to Alaska on the Sun.. I like dressing up but if Noone else is I will pack more casual  

The "requirement" is that gents wear long pants (jeans and dockers are fine) in Le Bistro and the Seven Seas Main Dining Room. Shorts are allowed in all other dining rooms for all meals (i.e., no dress code). 

If you like dressing up, then dress up. No one else cares and you should not care what others are wearing. Some people dress up, most don't. Some 20ish young adults often dress to impress. 

There will be photographers set up taking pictures every night. 

We dress in resort casual every night. Nothing fancy, but not shorts (especially for Alaska). You will see warmer clothing (flannels) worn by some,,, but the interior of the ship is the same temperature whether you are in Alaska or the Caribbean. 

• Thanks 1

In Alaska, I dress for warmth and comfort (especially my shoes--no brand new new ones).  I will take one dress that I would wear to church-- everything else is jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, warm jacket, mittens and a knit cap-- especially in the early Spring and after Labor Day.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

It is amazing that this is debated in every cruise line forum I've visited.

The consensus seems to be, wear what you want. If they kick you out (which they will rarely do), go change and come back.

Even Cunard! The dress code debates over there entertain me a great deal!!

Alas, I do follow the dress code, but as minimally as possible without forcing staff into having an awkward conversation with me, or about me with other guests who complain.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Alas, I do follow the dress code, but as minimally as possible without forcing staff into having an awkward conversation with me, or about me with other guests who complain.

Yes, I do empathize with the staff who have to explain why they let me in with running shoes instead of dress shoes.

To honest, I don't care what other guests think of what I wear, just like I don't care what they wear.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Even Cunard! The dress code debates over there entertain me a great deal!!

Your flippy-flops at dinner on Cunard must be quite the sight!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And just so all are aware, the terms "flippy-flops", "flippie-floppies", or variations thereof, are in fact fictitious. They are not official terms endorsed by NCL or Cruise Critic. Any similarity between these terms and actual footwear is purely coincidental. No identification with actual footwear (living or deceased), shoes, boots, clogs, crocs, or other footwear products is intended, and should not be inferred or implied.

I'm omahabob, and I approve this message.

10 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Your flippy-flops at dinner on Cunard must be quite the sight!!

So......it is a dream of mine to take a cruise on Cunard. I think the romanticism of being on the last true ocean liner for a Trans-Atlantic is a real selling point, plus (with enough notice) my dogs could accompany me on both legs! My husband won't hear of it. He's truly the flippie floppie guy! Don't worry, I am too, but I will don sneakers every now and then.

Anyway, just as in Alaska where I'd wear jeans (it gets cold, ya know), on Cunard I'd wear the required formal wear....but I'd be as dramatic about it as possible (think black sequins, loads of swirly paisley black and white swooshes on my tie, there would absolutely be a ridiculous top hat!!!! I'd be following their ridiculous dress code. But, I'd also be the talk of the sneering crowd. I suppose I wouldn't quite be a 🤡 though.

Really though, I can't wait until Cunard catches up to the 2000's - it'll happen, but well unfortunate events have to happen first.  

Sorry OP, I know I've devolved this thread to the Cunard boards now. To answer your question (which has been answered, I believe), I'd absolutely wear what I wear on any other NCL cruise. As @cruiserbear55 alludes to, that includes flippy floppies (oh wow, no auto correct if I spell it that way - YAY), plus t-shirts and shorts. Obviously if it's cold (sub 60 F), then I suppose I'd throw on some jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. And yes, I'd wear that into any dining establishment on NCL (except Ocean Blue, Le Bistro and the aft dining room). 

@ARI421, I hope you enjoy your super casual, Alaska vacation! Or have enjoyed it, if you've gone already. Did you post a review? I'd love to read it! 

• Haha 1