Thinking about our first cruise - msc virtuosa

Sonjihi

Hi everyone,

I recently came across what seems to be a great deal for a Northern Europe trip on the MS Virtuosa in March (Departing either the 10th or 17th of March 2023). The bad reviews on Trip Adviser are making us a bit nervous but we're not too sure whether to pay attention to them or not. On the amount they're charging we know it's not going to necessairly be 5* luxury and we are completely fine with that. Our main concern is the people that would be travelling at the same time as us. I know it's impossible to know in advance, but I'd love to know if anyone has any experience of travelling during this time of the year. Our children are 1 and 3 so we will not be travelling during half-term holidays, but would it be reasonable to expect the ship could still be packed with families? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Sonjihi
Spelling

MSC Virtuosa is marketed as a family orientated ship.  However, in March, and given the cruise you are looking at is the Northern repeat route of Southampton-Hamburg-Rotterdam-Bruges-Le Havre-Southampton or thereabouts, in theory the ship shouldn't be full of school-age children.  The facilities for children of any age are vast, as is the ship in general.    Not entirely sure what you mean by "concerns" for your fellow passengers.   I've had no issues on my two cruises on her in the last 18 months, nor about my upcoming one.

The ship is beautiful, spotlessly clean.   MSC's presence in the UK cruise market has introduced some competition for some other lines, at very competitive prices on a new, modern ship.    

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1

If you decide to cruise with msc then go with an open mind. MSC is different to the other cruise lines as it's has more of European feel than American. 

I personally have been on the Virtuosa 5 times and going again in April. She is a stunning beautiful clean ship. I've been on her with 700 paxs to nearly 5000paxs. Inside cabin right through to yatch club and sailed Spring Summer and just done a winter one in Dec. It's a ship that will cater for everyone. 

I have sailed with MSC a few times now not just on the Virtuosa but on some of their older ships and have a couple more cruises booked with MSC for later this year and next.

Yes I like MSC, I like the European feel and I love their ships. The staff on board i've never had any issues with.

The food which does seem to be a hot topic for complaints. My experience I've not starved yet! Sometimes i will admit the food in the main restaurants can be great others not so.

I've always found something to eat in the buffet and the pizza is the best at sea in my opinion. The Butchers cut and Hola! Speciality restaurants i've not had a bad meal yet in those and i've booked everytime i've been on the Virtuosa. I know the food to some people is a major part of their cruise but its something that wouldn't break a cruise for me.

Have I ever had issues with MSC where I have banged my head up against a brickwall...yes a few times but more shoreside(customer services) than on the ships themselves. So although I come across like msc are the best thing since sliced bread they are far from perfect but the good outweigh the bad personally for me. 

Not sure what you meant regarding who you would be travelling with and your concerns regarding that. March there are no school holidays uk wise for that period but not sure for other countries. I doubt the ship will be at full capacity then so I guess not many families on board as showingdiva has pointed out.

If you do decide to cruise in March I hope you have a fab cruise. 😊

Edited by Cruiseforever11
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, showingdiva said:

MSC Virtuosa is marketed as a family orientated ship.  However, in March, and given the cruise you are looking at is the Northern repeat route of Southampton-Hamburg-Rotterdam-Bruges-Le Havre-Southampton or thereabouts, in theory the ship shouldn't be full of school-age children.  The facilities for children of any age are vast, as is the ship in general.    Not entirely sure what you mean by "concerns" for your fellow passengers.   I've had no issues on my two cruises on her in the last 18 months, nor about my upcoming one.

The ship is beautiful, spotlessly clean.   MSC's presence in the UK cruise market has introduced some competition for some other lines, at very competitive prices on a new, modern ship.    

Hi, thank you so much. 

Sorry I was a bit vague with my concerns for fellow passengers; we had just read a few reviews about there being shirtless men, rowdy people started fights, people who were rude, loud and angry. Children running barefoot on chairs and tables, being disrespectful etc. I guess we're just worried as we'd have to spend a week on board with these passengers- and I was just wondering what your experience was with the people on board.

We even came across a wild review, stating a random family took over this individuas room claiming "squatters rights" and that security and guest services did nothing, she was essentially kicked out of her room and had to be reallocated another room. 

I guess there's just been a lot of negative reviews and it has us worried, but thank you so much for your response.

42 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

If you decide to cruise with msc then go with an open mind. MSC is different to the other cruise lines as it's has more of European feel than American. 

I personally have been on the Virtuosa 5 times and going again in April. She is a stunning beautiful clean ship. I've been on her with 700 paxs to nearly 5000paxs. Inside cabin right through to yatch club and sailed Spring Summer and just done a winter one in Dec. It's a ship that will cater for everyone. 

I have sailed with MSC a few times now not just on the Virtuosa but on some of their older ships and have a couple more cruises booked with MSC for later this year and next.

Yes I like MSC, I like the European feel and I love their ships. The staff on board i've never had any issues with.

The food which does seem to be a hot topic for complaints. My experience I've not starved yet! Sometimes i will admit the food in the main restaurants can be great others not so.

I've always found something to eat in the buffet and the pizza is the best at sea in my opinion. The Butchers cut and Hola! Speciality restaurants i've not had a bad meal yet in those and i've booked everytime i've been on the Virtuosa. I know the food to some people is a major part of their cruise but its something that wouldn't break a cruise for me.

Have I ever had issues with MSC where I have banged my head up against a brickwall...yes a few times but more shoreside(customer services) than on the ships themselves. So although I come across like msc are the best thing since sliced bread they are far from perfect but the good outweigh the bad personally for me. 

Not sure what you meant regarding who you would be travelling with and your concerns regarding that. March there are no school holidays uk wise for that period but not sure for other countries. I doubt the ship will be at full capacity then so I guess not many families on board as showingdiva has pointed out.

If you do decide to cruise in March I hope you have a fab cruise. 😊

Hi, 

Thanks so much for your response, it is reassuring to know you've been on so many times and obviously had good so many good experiences on board.

Sorry I was a bit vague with my concerns for fellow passengers; we had just read a few reviews about there being "shirtless men" rowdy people started fights, people who were rude, loud and angry. Children running barefoot on chairs and tables, being disrespectful etc. I guess we're just worried as we'd have to spend a week on board with these passengers- and I was just wondering what your experience was with the type of people on board.

We even came across a wild review, stating a random family took over this individuas room claiming "squatters rights" and that security and guest services did nothing, she was essentially kicked out of her room and had to be reallocated another room. 

I guess there's just been a lot of negative reviews and it has us worried, but thank you so much for your response. We are really considering it, I feel like maybe we will just pull the trigger and do it, the deal is really good and I don't think we would ever come across anything better in terms of value for money. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip also. 

36 minutes ago, Sonjihi said:

We even came across a wild review, stating a random family took over this individuals room claiming "squatters rights" and that security and guest services did nothing, she was essentially kicked out of her room and had to be reallocated another room. 

When I hear something as outlandish as this, I always figure there is WAY WAY more to the story than the reviewer is sharing. 

As with ANYTHING I find on the web that seems too good/weird/bad, I question it.

10 hours ago, Sonjihi said:

Hi, 

Thanks so much for your response, it is reassuring to know you've been on so many times and obviously had good so many good experiences on board.

Sorry I was a bit vague with my concerns for fellow passengers; we had just read a few reviews about there being "shirtless men" rowdy people started fights, people who were rude, loud and angry. Children running barefoot on chairs and tables, being disrespectful etc. I guess we're just worried as we'd have to spend a week on board with these passengers- and I was just wondering what your experience was with the type of people on board.

I guess there's just been a lot of negative reviews and it has us worried, but thank you so much for your response. We are really considering it, I feel like maybe we will just pull the trigger and do it, the deal is really good and I don't think we would ever come across anything better in terms of value for money. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip also. 

that sounds more like some of the P&O ships at the moment, judging from comments on the forum on here  🤣

We're on our first MSC trip on Virtuosa next month. We've been on Costa which is a more European line also and had a great time. It was livelier than previous P&O/Cunard cruises we've had but in a good way and was fun. 

We did Virtuosa for the first time in November Northern Europe cruise afrer over 20 Royal/Celebrity cruises, i can honestly say that we were pleasantly supprised. Ok the ship wasnt full but it is a beautiful ship the service was excellent, cabin was great and we eat in MDR food was certainly on a par with what Royal offer now maybe not Celebrity standard but plenty of choice.

We only went to the buffet for late night pizza which was definitely the best we have had on any cruise ship.

Butchers cut speciality was as god if not better than any we have been to.

We have now booked a 14 night in June and a 15 night in September.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sonjihi said:

We even came across a wild review, stating a random family took over this individuals room claiming "squatters rights" and that security and guest services did nothing, she was essentially kicked out of her room and had to be reallocated another room. 

Both times I've been on board Virtuosa (and oddly in picking a cruise on a huge, family orientated ship, I'm not really a fan of any children), I can honestly say that everyone I came across appeared house trained.  A cruise on any ship 7 days or more is much more civilised than a 2/3 night "party cruise".

Pull the trigger and do it.

• Like 2