Coco Cay, Over Used, Or Not?

Ret MP

On 2/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but this is one of the dumbest comments I have read on CC in awhile. RCI spent a lot of money to upgrade CC and the vast majority of Caribbean cruises include CC. If you don’t like CC, your cruises on RCI are very limited in the Caribbean. 

Well apparently, you, since we aren't trying not to be harsh and all, have a comprehension problem, the post was a statement of mostly fact, and then some questions.  It had nothing to do with the cost of upgrades to the island and so on and/or my understanding of why business decisions are made.  And you made the point, " the vast majority of Caribbean cruises include CC" and "your cruises on RCI are very limited in the Caribbean".  Thank you for confirming that for me/us.  Also, I haven't found fault with anyone that states that they love/like/have no opinion of the island.  I don't criticized people's opinions.  But I will criticize those that criticize my opinions, especially when only opinion.  I'm not a big fan of Coco Cay and if I get on a cruise that has Coco Cay as a Port of Call, I'll stay on the ship, or fly to Puerto Rico (which I don't want to do because I don't like flying) to embark, that's my opinion, that doesn't mean that you have to feel the same way.  However, if we, who don't care for the island and don't express our feelings here, there, and everywhere, nothing will have a chance of changing.  RCCL should go to Coco Cay, that's for sure.  But, I don't think that it is necessary that virtually EVERY cruising from the east coast and Galveston (in the future) has to stop there.  I would just like to have an opportunity to chose a cruise like I always have been able to and go to foreign ports other than Coco Cay where you are a captured cash cow/audience if you go ashore.  

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well apparently, you, since we aren't trying not to be harsh and all, have a comprehension problem, the post was a statement of mostly fact, and then some questions.  It had nothing to do with the cost of upgrades to the island and so on and/or my understanding of why business decisions are made.  And you made the point, " the vast majority of Caribbean cruises include CC" and "your cruises on RCI are very limited in the Caribbean".  Thank you for confirming that for me/us.  Also, I haven't found fault with anyone that states that they love/like/have no opinion of the island.  I don't criticized people's opinions.  But I will criticize those that criticize my opinions, especially when only opinion.  I'm not a big fan of Coco Cay and if I get on a cruise that has Coco Cay as a Port of Call, I'll stay on the ship, or fly to Puerto Rico (which I don't want to do because I don't like flying) to embark, that's my opinion, that doesn't mean that you have to feel the same way.  However, if we, who don't care for the island and don't express our feelings here, there, and everywhere, nothing will have a chance of changing.  RCCL should go to Coco Cay, that's for sure.  But, I don't think that it is necessary that virtually EVERY cruising from the east coast and Galveston (in the future) has to stop there.  I would just like to have an opportunity to chose a cruise like I always have been able to and go to foreign ports other than Coco Cay where you are a captured cash cow/audience if you go ashore.  

You make a lot of good points and your last comment about cash cow is spot on. There is also the problem that a lot of their bigger ships are too big for a lot of ports, although I don’t think RCI sees that as a problem. With Icon being bigger than Oasis class ships, the “problem” of limited ports will likely get even worse. 

• Like 1

When you think of the number of "beach day" excursions sold for Caribbean ports, and the hassle involved with getting there once off the ship, for the MANY folks who cruise the Caribbean for the beaches Cococay is a win/win. Royal gets the revenue, guests get a nice day at the beach with some activities included (and drinks if you have a drink package).

For the many folks who sail these itineraries because they are convenient and relatively inexpensive (live in FL or TX, so drive to port) the beach may not be as much of a draw. I'm in the second category, so unless the weather is really amazing we stay on the ship and enjoy the emptier feeling.

30 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I would just like to have an opportunity to chose a cruise like I always have been able to and go to foreign ports other than Coco Cay where you are a captured cash cow/audience if you go ashore.  

You're a cash cow anywhere you go in the Caribbean. One of the reasons we cruise less there these days is being tired of feeling like all we are is dollar signs.

That said, you can go to Cococay and not spend an additional nickel, which is impossible in other ports if you want to get to a beach and have lunch.

Of course RCI heavily promotes Coco Cay and its uber-bucks cabanas. It's all about generating revenue, and the fact that it's a beautiful little spot doesn't hurt 🙂

That being said, we were just on Coco Cay last week and were fortunate to have purchased the Beach Club for ~ $90 per person during the Black Friday sales this past November.  It WAS a perfect day!  The Anthem was the only ship in port and there were plenty of untouched loungers on Coco Beach Club, so I was surprised that it was designated as "sold out". Wonder why that was....

We are always seeking a beach day or a beach hotel pass at the Caribbean ports, and Coco Cay has that built right in whether we choose to pay the upcharges or not, so that works for us, no matter how many times we would stop there. 

Teddie

10 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

You're a cash cow anywhere you go in the Caribbean. One of the reasons we cruise less there these days is being tired of feeling like all we are is dollar signs.

That said, you can go to Cococay and not spend an additional nickel, which is impossible in other ports if you want to get to a beach and have lunch.

I don't want to disagree just to disagree.  I'll just point out that I/we have visited several ports of call and not spent a dime on the island (Grand Cayman as one example).  Get off the ship, walk around, window shop (my wife's favorite pass time), see the sights and get back on the ship.  However, if I wanted to purchase a trinket to take home to give to someone, it isn't something that RCCL pre-approved for sale and limited selection.  In other ports, I can go to several shops that have nothing to do with each other and have a much larger selection and they are willing to barter in most cases.   But, this is my preference and doesn't have to be anybody else's.   

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:43 PM, JimInBuffalo said:

... Got two Shack Crispy Chicken Sandwiches which were excellent ... 

A small question:  Do the Snack Shacks open about the same time as the buffets in the Chill Grill and Skipper's Grill?  

On 2/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, SimonStern said:

I love Coco Cay, and look for itineraries that include it (yeah, they are easy to find. 🙂 )

I suspect Royal will buy more private islands and offer different experiences on each.  Eventually all of their cruises will be from RCL owned private islands to RCL owned private islands.  I look forward to that personally.

Since Coco Cay seems to be a hit with the majority of cruisers, I'd like to see Royal copy their success elsewhere as well.  This would keep Coco Cay from being overly crowded ... having space to spread out is part of the allure.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, hotsauce126 said:

I like having it compared to places like Falmouth or Freeport but living near the beach makes coco cay not all that exciting

Growing up, going to the beach was always A Very Big Deal.  We had to plan, have a hotel, etc.  Then I married a man who grew up two miles from the beach, and my relationship with the beach changed:  When we got to visit his family, we can go to the beach for just a couple hours ... my nieces have had birthday parties on the beach ... or we can take a cooler of sandwiches and go out night fishing ... but we never get a hotel or cook big meals or have the whole family around the table for game night. 

I'm not sure which I prefer.  

On 2/8/2023 at 2:14 PM, kmpjdd said:

I love Cococay and purposely booked my next trip to include it.  I think it is so perfect for people with young kids- there is no private transportation to worry about (what about car seats?), I'm not locked into some 6 hr Royal-sponsored beach trip when my child decides they are done for the day, and I don't have to worry about finding food for lunch or snacks.  I love that I can do the whole day without spending any money if I want to.  Even without a young kid, I would love it just because it is easy and a day that I don't have to plan anything.  I would go there every cruise if I could haha.

Agree with all your reasoning.  It's just "easy" for families.  My children are grown, but we love it for the same reasons:  My husband gets enough beach in maybe 3-4 hours, but I'll stay all day ... no problem, as we don't need transportation.  

I'll say this though:  I love a beach day!  But I DON'T want multiple beach days in one trip -- or, at least not in a one-week trip.  I like variety in my shore excursions.  

On 2/9/2023 at 6:24 PM, Boz575 said:

OTW cabana on my July sailing is $3499. CoCo Beach cabanas ($1999) and all other cabanas $1099) are sold out. Get back their investment indeed. 

Thing is, when I was at Coco Cay in December (my only visit thusfar), only about half those expensive cabanas were used.  

I don't know if this is typical, or if it was an "off day", but I wondered why they held out for $$$$$ for each cabana instead of lowering the price to $$ and selling them all.  Two ships were in port -- Independence and Liberty -- so the island wasn't packed-to-the-gills, but it certainly wasn't empty.  

My wife loves Coco Cay. I prefer the way it used to be with a lot less people. I don't have a gripe about what RCI did with the island as I know it adds to their bottom line. I just try to find a loneliest place on the beach as possible. My wife likes the big pool. We did a half day there when it opened just to see what it was all about....long lines! We are in our late 70's so crashing about is not in our best interests.

We were on Oasis last week and first port was Coco Cay.

We had been there previously before all of the development and we're slightly apprehensive.

There was transport from the ship to a station where we got on another vehicle which took us around the island.

The beach was fantastic and there was lots of free sunbeds with umbrella's for a little shade.

There was lots of choice of food and I used our D+ to get a couple of Pina Coladas.

To summarize

We loved Coco Cay and look forward to returning.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

IMG_20230130_085858.jpg

IMG_20230130_093231.jpg

IMG_20230130_113651.jpg

IMG_20230130_114109.jpg

IMG_20230130_113703.jpg

IMG_20230130_091224.jpg