Is the MSC USA website malfunctioning?

Itchy&Scratchy

I check prices on our sailing every couple of days - planning to book another cabin for 1 person. Last week the cruise wasn't even half full in either inside or balcony categories. Today, ALL inside and balcony cabins are sold out for 1, 2 or 3 people. How can that be? Could it be a website glitch?

Oh, and the total price doesn't show up at the bottom anymore.

P.S. the sailing is a Thanksgiving cruise on Seascape.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Several issues going on currently with the MSC website for me, as usual. Web Check In does not seem to be working properly, some cruises I was looking at are not showing as available, others will not allow solo booking at any price, etc.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I check prices on our sailing every couple of days - planning to book another cabin for 1 person. Last week the cruise wasn't even half full in either inside or balcony categories. Today, ALL inside and balcony cabins are sold out for 1, 2 or 3 people. How can that be? Could it be a website glitch?

Oh, and the total price doesn't show up at the bottom anymore.

P.S. the sailing is a Thanksgiving cruise on Seascape.

I was looking at the same sailing and noticed the same thing..

Its currently working now, but it does screw up often..

It comes and goes, but when it screws up if you hit continue, you can often see the price breakdown on the last page

I hate Msc's use of cookies. My mailbox is filled with my mock bookings and i have to gleem through them for the actual booked ones. And i don't fill in my passenger info when doing mock bookings. Oh i do forget to clear cookies or i'm bopping around using both regular and the inprivate/incognito bvrowsers sometimes.

Someone on another social media is looking for a solo room on Divina trans Atlantic repositioning sailing and nothing is available. 
A TA responded and said that there weren’t anymore solo fares available on that cruise and that MSC has a limit to how many solo’s they will sell per sailing. 

@Itchy&ScratchyMaybe that’s the case in the sailing you’re looking at?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruiseScrooge said:

I hate Msc's use of cookies. My mailbox is filled with my mock bookings and i have to gleem through them for the actual booked ones. And i don't fill in my passenger info when doing mock bookings. Oh i do forget to clear cookies or i'm bopping around using both regular and the inprivate/incognito bvrowsers sometimes.

I use an incognito/private window every time I do a mock booking for any airline/cruise/hotel. It's become automatic for me.

10 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Someone on another social media is looking for a solo room on Divina trans Atlantic repositioning sailing and nothing is available. 
A TA responded and said that there weren’t anymore solo fares available on that cruise and that MSC has a limit to how many solo’s they will sell per sailing. 

but I checked it for 1, 2 and 3 people - and nothing is available (inside or balcony). That's why I am so surprised.

40 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

I experienced the same. I thought that it was MSC raising their prices on potential passengers who look up cruises too much, tracked either by my cookies or by my IP address. 

the prices did go up by about $30 pp, but it was about 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I had the same issue when trying to book the Divina May 15 TA as a solo in December. It would not let me book solo online or by calling MSC. . I contacted a travel agent and she was able to get me booked after several calls and eventually getting an MSC Rep who said she knew the “trick” to get it booked.

Most of the reps appear to just see the same availability we see on the website, but a few that are more knowledgeable have learned to override some of the issues. The problem is, travel agents or callers cannot request a specific person when calling, apparently, and it may require multiple calls to get connected to someone who can actually assist. 

I also do not understand MSC‘s policy on solos compared to other lines. They seem to either offer a great discount or won’t let you book at all. Most cruise lines charge solo cruisers the full double occupancy rate for the cabin, but MSC doesn’t seem to do that, even if cabins are still available. There are times that I would be willing to pay the double occupancy rate, but have been told that they would not allow me to book solo, even if I paid the double rate. Another quirk of MSC, I guess.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

There are times that I would be willing to pay the double occupancy rate, but have been told that they would not allow me to book solo, even if I paid the double rate.

in that case, could I book 2 people in an inside, and the second person would be a no show? I mean - if we are paying double anyway, right?

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

in that case, could I book 2 people in an inside, and the second person would be a no show? I mean - if we are paying double anyway, right?

That’s what I have considered trying, but I have not done it yet. It would just be much simpler if they would let you book solo and charge you double. But nothing is simple with MSC.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but I checked it for 1, 2 and 3 people - and nothing is available (inside or balcony). That's why I am so surprised.

There are some balcony rooms showing up now for 1&2 pax on that sailing. 

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not when I am looking at it:

image.thumb.png.01308c7046f104a3a0df205091cb016c.png

That’s strange. I just looked again and I see this 

11/18/2023 14 day Seascape correct?

I just randomly chose Oceanview Bella  for that sailing. It’s showing suites and inside as sold out. 
I didn’t add my VC number not sure if that made a difference. 

92C63BB6-DB93-4B3E-AFA1-5BDC8C55DB0A.thumb.png.add4f22f90d135101571be715c21821e.pngCE539388-3ADC-447D-88D2-1087DC4ED5FC.thumb.png.a9778961db66c12ea8db6d9425ad418c.pngF4FEB620-9AED-4EC9-BC23-194B2E5260AA.thumb.png.c88b3d47cc3f7c0f172668706dc94a8b.png79E0838A-9FA6-411C-AF6F-1D6703AD1320.thumb.png.9b14c2f58dbba69ee6a18c10f317f2e3.pngC7029D50-6E39-4E50-8FBA-8BB8F6FB6590.thumb.png.104063ff83b092bde271e6cb3eb42d5d.png

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a 7 day one, but yes - starting on 11/18/23.

Ahh okay. For that I see ocean view, suite and YC only. Interior and Balcony sold out. 
That’s a popular week because of  the holiday and schools being closed a couple of days. I wouldn’t be surprised if it does sell out. 

10 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Ahh okay. For that I see ocean view, suite and YC only. Interior and Balcony sold out. 
That’s a popular week because of  the holiday and schools being closed a couple of days. I wouldn’t be surprised if it does sell out. 

I check every couple of days. A couple of days ago it wasn't anywhere near sold out in those categories. Not even half way. I already booked us and my parents and I am now planning to book MIL as well...

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

I use an incognito/private window

Sorry for the thread hijack, but would you mind terribly giving a crash course in Cookies 101.  I would love to stop receiving all of those "Complete Your Booking" emails I receive from MSC and Celebrity after all of my dummy bookings.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

Sorry for the thread hijack, but would you mind terribly giving a crash course in Cookies 101.  I would love to stop receiving all of those "Complete Your Booking" emails I receive from MSC and Celebrity after all of my dummy bookings.  Thanks.

In your favorite web browser, open a private/incognito window--different browsers use different terminology but they all have this functionality. Do your mock booking and close the window when you're done. No cookies are left and, unless you go out of your way to log in to your cruise line account or provide some identifying information, they shouldn't be able to associate the mock booking with you.

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

You can’t use your VC number though even on the incognito site 

• Like 1