Current Breakdown of Gratuities as of January 2023 (with increase)

20 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

It's not a scam.  A scam a thief steals from an unwilling participant.  You may not LIKE the way they handle it, but it's not a scam.  It's part of the cost of cruising.  If you don't like it, don't cruise.  Simple, but it's not a scam.  There's already enough legitimate scams out there, we don't need to call legitimate business practices, scams.

??????

see above post 

20 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It IS a scam. 

I give them my money, they say $XX is going to your stateroom attendant, but in reality it is not. 

It is NOT  “part of the cost of cruising” (what an overused term, ranks right up there with “behind the scenes personnel”). Taxes and port fees are part of the cost, anything they allow you to opt out of is not. 

So taking my above post with another breakdown, based on RCI's own numbers , I am not sure if  SCAM is the proper word , but at the very least it certainly is shady !!

To be clear , I have never and for the foreseeable future will not remove grats because regardless of how it breaks down and what the real truth is ,I know if I do , it will impact the hardworking people on these ships greatly. Whether that is supposed to be my responsibility or not , for know i make it that way.

I believe sooner than later RCI and other lines will move to an all in pricing system and Grats will go back to the old way of handing to those you choose to reward.

Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Nowhere in their literature does it state the tips go directly (and only) to the main steward or waiter. 

Read the 'literature' handed from guest services that the OP started this thread with ....

Does that not imply a singular person ??

At the very least they can get their story straight

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

??????

see above post 

So taking my above post with another breakdown, based on RCI's own numbers , I am not sure if  SCAM is the proper word , but at the very least it certainly is shady !!

To be clear , I have never and for the foreseeable future will not remove grats because regardless of how it breaks down and what the real truth is ,I know if I do , it will impact the hardworking people on these ships greatly. Whether that is supposed to be my responsibility or not , for know i make it that way.

I believe sooner than later RCI and other lines will move to an all in pricing system and Grats will go back to the old way of handing to those you choose to reward.

Cheers

And that is the way it should be. Why these posters say dont cruise if you dont like the status quo is not the answer. We have to evolve and make things better for all concerned.

• Like 1

Just now, LobsterStalker said:

??????

see above post 

Cheers

So right on their website are the terms and prices of service charges and what they are used for.  It specifically says it goes to staff including non-customer facing positions.  I cannot remotely see how that is shady or scam?   As much as you would like it, the cat is out of the bag and will NOT go back to the old way of envelops.  The crew was truly screwed during that time.  Service charges were put into place because of the number of people who didn't leave any tips for anyone, not to cover up any shady business practices.

2 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Read the 'literature' handed from guest services that the OP started this thread with ....

Does that not imply a singular person ??

At the very least they can get their story straight

That piece of paper could be a forgery, it could be real.  Whatever it is, it is not on RCCL letterhead and is very much an internal document and is not for customer consumption.  The fact that a customer service person gave it out, doesn't change that.  Being an internal document, the language makes perfect sense and does not imply to me a single person.... and who cares????  That's between RCCL and the employee.  

6 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

And that is the way it should be. Why these posters say dont cruise if you dont like the status quo is not the answer. We have to evolve and make things better for all concerned.

It's not going to change for the mass cruise lines, and honestly the only way it will change is if people don't cruise because of it.  Then they may get the message... but that's not going to happen....  I mean, MSC still gets passengers.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100

20 minutes ago, JimInBuffalo said:

I give the Stateroom steward and extra $20 on the first day of the cruise to make sure that he is attentive to us (we’ve never had a bad steward), I give extra tips on the last day to the Head Waiter, waiter and asst. waiter in the MDR

Just curious , why the difference for you with room steward VS dining staff ...first day/last day ?

5 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

That piece of paper could be a forgery, it could be real.  Whatever it is, it is not on RCCL letterhead and is very much an internal document and is not for customer consumption.  The fact that a customer service person gave it out, doesn't change that.  Being an internal document, the language makes perfect sense and does not imply to me a single person.... and who cares????  That's between RCCL and the employee.  

It is not between RCI and the employee... they are handing it out like candy at guest services

And the fact that they do so most certainly does change your assertion that it is an internal document

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

The crew was truly screwed during that time.  Service charges were put into place because of the number of people who didn't leave any tips for anyone

I would be VERY interested to hear from long time crew members (Room steward and Dining staff) on  whether they were better off then or now . 

Started cruising in 1990, been on over 90, and I would think things are better now than before. It used to be a joke, prior to the service charge, on how many passengers would be in the dining room the last night of the cruise. That's when the envelopes would be passed out to the crew, and half the dining room would be empty. I guess it's the old way of what is now, calling or stopping at  guest services to remove auto  gratuities. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

That doesnt seem to answer the question at all... Unless radiance doesn't have a laundry room

As an aside from this , what humiliation for RCI to put this area of the ship in their tour... Like what are they saying here , "Now lets go stare at the slaves on our ship that are paid worse than your son on his 1 hour a day paper route " ?

THANK YOU 

36 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

So right on their website are the terms and prices of service charges and what they are used for.  It specifically says it goes to staff including non-customer facing positions.  I cannot remotely see how that is shady or scam?   As much as you would like it, the cat is out of the bag and will NOT go back to the old way of envelops.  The crew was truly screwed during that time.  Service charges were put into place because of the number of people who didn't leave any tips for anyone, not to cover up any shady business practices.

The “old way” with envelopes happens on every cruise I take. 

• Like 1

The difference in tips for the Steward vs. MDR staff is that the steward we see on the first day is always the same for the entire cruise. I like to tip him on the first day since I know I will probably be asking for additional towels, etc. at some time during the week and I want to be sure that he will take care of us. Also, my wife likes the towel animals in the room and that is something that seems to be optional for them to do. (I could care less, LOL). In the MDR, we have seen where either the staff gets changed during the week or we decide to eat more meals in the specialty dining rooms and therefore, not spending the entire cruise in the MDR.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:20 AM, cruiseboy89130 said:

I don't believe this little slip is anything official - looks like someone made it up to get rid of the questions!

On 2/8/2023 at 10:44 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Yup, that’s why you pack your good friends, $5 Bill. 

59 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Just curious , why the difference for you with room steward VS dining staff ...first day/last day ?

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I can assure you that the piece of paper that I show in the initial post is legitimate and came directly from the Customer Service desk on the Enchantment of the Seas in January 2023. The reason I asked for it was because during the question and answer review with the captain on the ship held in the theater, another question asked the question about the division of the tips. Not knowing the answer, the captain told everyone in the audience to go to Customer Service and get the list. Please, do not take my word for it, instead go to the desk on your next cruise and post a picture of what they give you. thanks, -Jim

48 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Started cruising in 1990, been on over 90, and I would think things are better now than before. It used to be a joke, prior to the service charge, on how many passengers would be in the dining room the last night of the cruise. That's when the envelopes would be passed out to the crew, and half the dining room would be empty. I guess it's the old way of what is now, calling or stopping at  guest services to remove auto  gratuities. Ugh. 

Exactly , and with cutbacks in services followed by rising daily Grats  .... 

Maybe I should reword my question a bit  ....

Edit >>>> I would be VERY interested to hear from long time crew members (Room steward and Dining staff) on  whether they were better off then or in the near future as this shakes out

• Like 1

The difference in tips for the Steward vs. MDR staff is that the steward we see on the first day is always the same for the entire cruise. I like to tip him on the first day since I know I will probably be asking for additional towels, etc. at some time during the week and I want to be sure that he will take care of us. Also, my wife likes the towel animals in the room and that is something that seems to be optional for them to do. (I could care less, LOL). In the MDR, we have seen where either the staff gets changed during the week or we decide to eat more meals in the specialty dining rooms and therefore, not spending the entire cruise in the MDR

Understood

Thx for the clarification

I have never tipped before any service , as in tipping Steward on Day 1 , but have talked to a lot who choose to do this

Just now, LobsterStalker said:

Understood

I have never tipped before any service , as in tipping Steward on Day 1 , but have talked to a lot who choose to do this

Hmmm ... just realized that is a false statement aswith the autograts I am ALWAYS tipping before and regardless of service . Edit to say the cash I hand out 

6 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

That doesnt seem to answer the question at all... Unless radiance doesn't have a laundry room

As an aside from this , what humiliation for RCI to put this area of the ship in their tour... Like what are they saying here , "Now lets go stare at the slaves on our ship that are paid worse than your son on his 1 hour a day paper route " ?

The laundry was actually fascinating.  They wash the sheets and feed them into an enormous machine and they come out pressed and folded on the other end. Crew has thier own free laundry mat for personal,  uniforms are washed or sey cleaned for free.  They can pay on sea pass for laundry if they want.  One reason is the level of automation may reduce the employee/passenger ratio.  Plus you have 5 or so other positions that share the steward “tip”.  Is there another way to explain why the breakdown is different on every ship?  i cant imagine what it would be.  

4 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

The difference in tips for the Steward vs. MDR staff is that the steward we see on the first day is always the same for the entire cruise. I like to tip him on the first day since I know I will probably be asking for additional towels, etc. at some time during the week and I want to be sure that he will take care of us. Also, my wife likes the towel animals in the room and that is something that seems to be optional for them to do. (I could care less, LOL). In the MDR, we have seen where either the staff gets changed during the week or we decide to eat more meals in the specialty dining rooms and therefore, not spending the entire cruise in the MDR

Understood

Interesting that you bring this up.  Now more then ever if you tell them what you want and offer them a little advance,  they will do whatever you want.  They simply do not have time to automatically do anything with this new program of once a day.  They no longer ask you if you want ice,  towels etc unless you ask. Our carnival steward had 35 rooms.  Yes you read that right 35!!!!!  With an assitant only 2 hours in the morning.  They are in hell.

25 minutes ago, resetjet said:

The laundry was actually fascinating.  They wash the sheets and feed them into an enormous machine and they come out pressed and folded on the other end. Crew has thier own free laundry mat for personal,  uniforms are washed or sey cleaned for free.  They can pay on sea pass for laundry if they want.  One reason is the level of automation may reduce the employee/passenger ratio.  Plus you have 5 or so other positions that share the steward “tip”.  Is there another way to explain why the breakdown is different on every ship?  i cant imagine what it would be.  

This thread is making everybody guilty about the “employees” of RCL. We are not their employer. If you go to a restaurant and tip 15% or so the server does pay out to kitchen staff. Let RCL determine who gets what. I was just calculating a 35 day back to back that we are taking and its 1700 Canadian in tips. Thats insane. And many on here want to tip extra extra extra on top.I get it if its a 3 or 4 day piss up in the Caribbean but not on long trips and clean non demanding adults, I just dont think its necessary.

Edited by tottenhamfc

5 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Exactly , and with cutbacks in services followed by rising daily Grats  .... 

Maybe I should reword my question a bit  ....

Edit >>>> I would be VERY interested to hear from long time crew members (Room steward and Dining staff) on  whether they were better off then or in the near future as this shakes out

Every single one of them hates it.  Stewards with over 20 years are ready to quit and i think alot will.  They got a really small pay increase and now they are again hiring other crewmembers ti help them on departure day as they did prior to 2010.  They feel like they are back there again. 

5 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

This thread is making everybody guilty about the “employees” of RCL. We are not their employer. If you go to a restaurant and tip 15% or so the server does pay out to kitchen staff. Let RCL determine who gets what. I was just calculating a 35 day back to back that we are taking and its 1700 Canadian in tips. Thats insane. And many on here want to tip extra extra extra on top.I get it is its a 3 or 4 day piss up in the Caribbean but on long trips and clean non demanding adults, I just dont think its necessary.

Its not a tip.  Its a resort fee in my mind.  It saves us money on fares this way.  If they were to just roll it into the price and add it to the balance sheet,  100’s of millions of dollars would now have to be reported.  Of course they would have the labor deduction but they would likely have to pay alot of fees depending on how their labor structure is.

Edited by resetjet

Thats just semantics tip/resort fee. I resent resort fees as well as the fee is not necessarily beneficial to each individual. We are so neat and clean its just about making the bed. We get too caught up in he/she is so nice. It is their job and I expect nothing less than courtesy. Accounting practices loopholes are for the rich and corporates. Lets just have a flat tax where everyone/corporations is equal. 

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 1