Celebrity Retreat vs Neptune Suites

zgscl

Just now, canadianbear said:

We are 4* on HAL sailing mainly with them

but have found the entertainment really lacking (except BB Kings).  We found the one Celebrity  cruise we did the entertainment was fantastic.

Currently we have a long cruise booked for 2024 on the Koningsdam but that is refundable deposit.  So, decisions, decisions!  It’s why I enjoy reading everyone’s blogs or posts until we cruise again. 

I see you’re hooked on Celebrity suites now, awesome!!   I do agree they beat HAL.  

We have been hooked on Sky suites, but the current future pricing is driving us to look at more premium alternatives like Oceania, which we have booked in 2025. We did a 14 night Oosterdam cruise from Venice last year and found the lack of entertainment very disappointing, not one comic or magician or any production shows and most nights just showings of the same lame BBC world films. Other nights some very amateurish dancers, but we do not cruise for the shows, fortunately.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Are you allowed to eat in Blu if not in aqua class but in a suite?  If so, we didn’t know bud like you, Luminae was so good we didn’t ask.

You can on a space available basis since Blu is the designated dining room for Aqua class. The concierge or maitre D should be able to arrange it for you, particularly if you are flexible on day and time. Also, if you book an upper suite they will pretty much find a way to make room for you whenever/wherever you want. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can show up to Luminae whenever you want and you still get your same servers. It is basically the flexibility of open dining with the service of fixed seating. As I recall there were like 4 or so waiters in Club Orange and you sort of just got whoever. They were very nice and helpful, but it did not feel nearly as personal.

We never really liked open seating because we like getting to know our waiters and having that relationship. So love getting the best of both worlds. 

7 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We are 4* on HAL sailing mainly with them

but have found the entertainment really lacking (except BB Kings).  We found the one Celebrity  cruise we did the entertainment was fantastic.

Currently we have a long cruise booked for 2024 on the Koningsdam but that is refundable deposit.  So, decisions, decisions!  It’s why I enjoy reading everyone’s blogs or posts until we cruise again. 

I see you’re hooked on Celebrity suites now, awesome!!   I do agree they beat HAL.  

I definitely have a lot to say on entertainment when I get to that! 

I absolutely agree Celebrity suites definitely beat HAL overall. That being said, Celebrity suites are generally more expensive and often a lot more expensive. You really have to think about if the added perks are worth the extra cost. If cabin size ranks high on your list of priorities then I would say Neptunes are better than Sky Suites (though obviously not a Royal or Celebrity suite, but that is really getting into a different cabin bracket & HAL has no equivalent). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We have been hooked on Sky suites, but the current future pricing is driving us to look at more premium alternatives like Oceania, which we have booked in 2025. We did a 14 night Oosterdam cruise from Venice last year and found the lack of entertainment very disappointing, not one comic or magician or any production shows and most nights just showings of the same lame BBC world films. Other nights some very amateurish dancers, but we do not cruise for the shows, fortunately.

1. Totally agree, sometimes you may get into the luxury segment (which Celebrity marketing will tell you they are, but they are not) for similar prices on some of their future voyages. 

2. HAL entertainment is the biggest thing that has pushed me to try other brands (and I have been very happy with HAL for a long time). They have only 4 shows and it is the same 4 on every ship. The Music walk is great but on multiple trips they have cut the sets from 45 minutes down to like 2 or 3 songs, one of them being a long instrumental. And don't get me started on the BBC films....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We will also be looking at alternate cruise lines or even all inclusive resorts to go to with our kids & grandkids in the future.  It’s sad as I have been hooked on cruising since 2008 when we went on our first cruise in a Neptune suite on the Ryndam.  Loved the small ship and in “those days” it was a great experience.  

• Like 1