Galveston/Houston Ideas after Cruise (Flight is 3:30pm)

slyster

Our flight doesnt leave Hobby until 3:30.  Are there any suggestions (no rental car or car) for a family of six (no children) for a few hours after we cruise back to Galveston?  We could go straight to the airport, but I figure we don't need to be to the airport until 1:30 or so.  

It's also wishful thinking but besides a lyft or a car service, I'm not sure of what our optons are either.  Thanks in advance for advice!

Edited by slyster

• slyster changed the title to Galveston/Houston Ideas after Cruise (Flight is 3:30pm)

Perhaps the Space Center? What cruise line? RCI is offering a transfer with a Space Center trip in the planner. I was looking at it but we leave out of IAH at 2:30pm so just barely not enough time. Hobby and 3:30pm seems like it would work perfectly and handle your luggage at the same time. 

We ended up just booking a private transfer at 10:15am and will just do a leisurely breakfast and stroll off with the last group called, as late as they allow us.

We're in the same situation. Our flight leaves at 7:54 p.m. from IAH. I'm considering renting a car through Turo or Enterprise from IAH and just drive around. However, everyone keeps telling here that there's not much to do in Houston. 

1 minute ago, Pika8347 said:

We're in the same situation. Our flight leaves at 7:54 p.m. from IAH. I'm considering renting a car through Turo or Enterprise from IAH and just drive around. However, everyone keeps telling here that there's not much to do in Houston. 

There is a tremendous amount to do and see in Houston.  But, it is a major City of 4 million + and spread out over 665 square miles.  Multiple museums, parks, shopping, sports, theater, etc.

There is the NASA's Space Center between Houston and Galveston

Same with Galveston, a City of firsts for the State of Texas.  Museums, architecture (Victorian homes) Bryan Museum, Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig, Bishops Palace, Texas Seaport Museum, Tall Ship Elissa, Galveston Naval Museum, Moody Gardens to name a few.

Research on either will find a multitude of thing to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pika8347 said:

We booked a hotel with Dayuse last year when we had an evening flight after our cruise. We all took a nap, left the luggage in the room and walked around to get lunch locally, used the hotel wifi and we had access to the pool but none of us wanted to use it. It was nice to just chill and relax, catch up on some things, and not worry about our bags. 

P.S. I see some around IAH with hotel shuttles with great prices (I'm sure depending on the date you need...)

Edited by jbrinkm
PS

9 hours ago, ssb said:

Extend your vacation !! 😁 Stay over for a night or two . We always trying to do that . 

Galveston is a major tourist destination . Usually cheaper flights and hotel rooms also  .

That’s what we ended up doing.  We will arrive two days before to see some of the sights and take our time coming back on last day of cruise.

• Like 1