Galveston Cruise-what airport is best?

kelkel2

We are in the beginning process of planning if we want to drive or fly. Obviously fling is quite costly currently and I don’t foresee that changing. We could drive, but it’s about a 12 hour drive and we’d probably for sure have to split it into 2 days. Not a deal breaker but for sure a consideration.

What is the best airport to look at flying into? Houston Hobby? We’d be flying from

Chicago and could fly out of midway or o’hare so we have plenty of options. We aren’t married to any airlines but do prefer southwest for their nonstop options. I just need to start getting an idea of what our options are. Any suggestions? 

Hobby is better, by far. It is at least 30 minutes closer to Galveston. It is small compared to Intercontinental (IAH). There's just one terminal at Hobby vs. five at IAH. About 90% of the flights to Hobby are Southwest and that would make Midway the option. There are plenty of nonstops from O'Hare to Intercontinental, but there is no reason to put yourself through the hassle at both of them.

8 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Hobby is better, by far. It is at least 30 minutes closer to Galveston. It is small compared to Intercontinental (IAH). There's just one terminal at Hobby vs. five at IAH. About 90% of the flights to Hobby are Southwest and that would make Midway the option. There are plenty of nonstops from O'Hare to Intercontinental, but there is no reason to put yourself through the hassle at both of them.

Thanks!! I appreciate the input! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Definitely Hobby.  Closer to Galveston and SW flights.

Ok, and if we would decide to drive and that’s a big IF. Is the parking garage near the port secure? Like trustworthy? I don’t want to come back to busted windows and a stolen catalytic converter. (That’s probably just paranoia) 

12 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Ok, and if we would decide to drive and that’s a big IF. Is the parking garage near the port secure? Like trustworthy? I don’t want to come back to busted windows and a stolen catalytic converter. (That’s probably just paranoia) 

Parking is secure.  Probably safer than parking at your grocery store.

• Like 1