Roald Amundsen by Hurtigruten ~ May 2023 Alaska

PSPoolside

My husband and I will aboard this May. Knowing the ship has a max capacity of 500 there’s little chance any of you are one of the 498 others aboard. If you are please drop us a line. If you have been on the Roald Amundsen I’d love to hear your impressions.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, RMS Olympic said:

Thank you for posting. Please share your thoughts post cruise on Hurtigruten, staff, food overall level of satisfaction with the cruise line.

I have been contemplating sailing them in Europe for some time.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom, my husband and I sailed Hurtigruten Firdtjof Nansen to Antarctica 2 months ago.  I know you are asking about Europe but I will give you our insights as to the Expedition sailing.

The ship was relatively new - 3 years old - and very comfortable.  Cabins very well appointed and very comfortable.  Crew very friendly, accommodating and nice.  Food was good.  Buffet choices were wide and varied every day for breakfast and lunch and great quality, but the dinner a la carte was ok and limited menu choices.  Overall food was good.  Don't know how this compares to Hurtigruten Europe.

Because this was an Expedition sailing, there was not "theatre" or evening entertainment.  This cruise was about the destination and the science.  Again, not sure how this compares to Hurtigruten Europe ships.

We have only sailed Viking before Hurtigruten and Viking are supposed to have a higher standard of food.  We were surprised to note that Hurtigruten buffet was better than Viking, but Viking restaurant served meals were better than Hurtigruten.

You will not find a lot of activity on Cruise Critic for Hurtigruten because their primary guest is not from the USA.  You will have a lot of Europeans on Hurtigruten and they are not Cruise Critic members.  If you go to the Hurtigruten forum, you will find that many Hurtigruten threads are not heavily populated, and the roll calls rarely get any real activity.  In 6+ months I only got one or two posts to my roll call for the cruise we were last on.

I think however that if you really want to know about Hurtigruten, you should ask your specific questions there.  You will get responses from people who do know Hurtigruten.  

Hmmm....  I just went and looked, and it was what I thought - this ship is identical to the one we sailed.  Ask yourself what you are looking for other than your daytime excursions and a well cooked meal.  This ship will be very comfortable, but only has the one main restaurant, and one you will pay extra for, unless you are in a suite.  It has a hamburg/hotdog/taco room too but the food was blah... and the top deck is the bar.  If you are going on Expedition, then this ship and the Expedition team will be great.  If you are looking for evening entertainment and variety of restaurants, food, and activities onboard, this is not the ship for you.

Edited by CDNPolar