Full Tipping or Not

gonecruising

[quote name=Lsimon

I called Captain's Club a few years ago to find out what the Specialty Restaurant was all about' date=' and was told that the $30 per person charge was a gratuity for the waiters. [/quote]

I guess over the phone you couldn't see if this person had their fingers crossed :eek: ...

is the exception. Too many cruises under my belt to not know that folks that dump on the last night are 99% of the time, stiffing the crew.

Anyone who says, I eat in the buffet, so owe them nothing are also making excuses for poor manners and being CHEAP.

Frankly, I find it disgusting that people will stand up for, and make excuses for, the cheapskates and bash those that have manners, good behavior and decent standards.

Stay home, go borrow your uncle Bubba's row boat and eat the carp you catch on your fishing trip if you can't afford a cruise or can't abide by decent expectations.

Attaboy Jim!!! Riff raff should be told they are riff raff and those who make up lame excuses to justify this behavior shouldn't waste their breath.

It's $5.50 a day (waiter and asst), of course you tip the full amount for every day of the cruise. You are assigned that table and the waiters count on those tips. Besides, as stated before, you are tipping for more than that one meal.

When planning for a cruise, add the cost of tips to what you will spend. It is warranted.:)

There may indeed be other reasons people don't show up for dinner the last night, but the most popular one is:

STIFFING THE WAITSTAFF!!!!!!!!!!!

And why would you want a personal trainer on the last twelve hours of your cruise? At dinner time?

Cruise lines have been able to convince well meaning passengers that the compensation for their restaurant staff is the responsibility of the passenger and not the cruise line. I can not think of another situation where you are expected to tip whether you use the service or not.

Just to add my two cents: we always tip the full amount to the dining room staff (and usually more) whether we are there or not.

We have never added any tips for the specialty dining staff as we were informed that the $30 was the tip. We have not yet done the casual dining in the evening but will on our trip to Hawaii. I guess we'll see how that goes.

We have never tipped at any other time, for instance at the lunch buffet.

If our cabin stewart is outstanding we will also include a higher tip for him as well.

Cruise lines have been able to convince well meaning passengers that the compensation for their restaurant staff is the responsibility of the passenger and not the cruise line. I can not think of another situation where you are expected to tip whether you use the service or not.
If you eat at all on the ship you use the service. These folks work seven days a week for seven months at a stretch for a pittance and depend on their OVERALL service to us to be meaningful. It is the lack of understand on the part of some that leads a cruiseline to have to remind us of these thing. If this staff weren't there at all you would not have the same cruise experience.

Rick

This topic comes up every once in a while. My standard answer to it is that those who stiff the help are being dishonest. If you are going to stiff the help then have the courage to tell them in advance...LOL!!! I have actually said this to people on cruises. Their response is always hypocritical. They would never tell the help in advance because then they would not receive the great service that they are looking forward to and this would ruin their cruise. HOW HYPOCRITICAL IS THAT??? Yet these same people just can not admit that they are cheating someone out of their wages.

If the service is lousy you have the right to withold a tip or reduce the tip. If the service is good you have an obligation to reward the server. It is that simple.

ROSS

Absolutely, positively, without question...

Great system :rolleyes: a) pay the employee almost nothing so they work for tips b) make it easier for people to eat elsewhere and avoid tipping c) no longer have a policy in place to beat pax who skip out on tip night

What are the cruiselines going to do when their wait staff can't make a living....buffets, buffets, buffets....

Carnival, Carnival, Carnival..... :(

I've always had this question asked of me..so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Since there are so many dining choices on cruises nowadays, may passengers are not in the main dining room for dinner all the time.. Specialty restaurant one night, casual dinner somewhere else..maybe 2 or 3 nights not in the main dining room...what about the following:

1. Do you usually tip the main dining room waiter/busyboy the full amount at the end of the week even though you weren't there the entire time?

2. Do you tip the waiters at the casual dining area separately?

3. Do you add an additional tip to the specialy dining waiter/busboy over and above the $30 cover fee?

1) Yes. Always tip fully no matter how many days you have not used the dining room. The wait staff only gets so many people and tables to wait on each cruise.

2) Yes. There is a $2 per person tip here. But you should make it a bit larger. As if you tipped on the food $'s paid it would be about 7 to 10.

3) Yes. We always add about $5 per person in the specialty resturant. As some cruises there may not be a lot of people in ther and they have no way to make it up.

4) You may also want to tip the Sushi guy for the great food you got there. Imagine you had to pay for the sushi. A small tip for a weeks or more service goes a long way.

5) Finally don't overlook the Assistant Mater'D. Even though you may not have seen them. The waiter has to pay them out of his tip if you stiff them.

There may indeed be other reasons people don't show up for dinner the last night, but the most popular one is:

STIFFING THE WAITSTAFF!!!!!!!!!!!

And why would you want a personal trainer on the last twelve hours of your cruise? At dinner time?

OK but now I am getting so worried that I am being grouped in with the "stiffers" As I say my favourite speciality night is the last night - my final treat before going home. Should I ask the band to play a fanfare as I hand my extras over the night before (we actually prepay but have always had cause to give the wait staff extra)

Now I know I'm in trouble! For the first time, on our 3/20 cruise on Galaxy, we opted for prepaid gratuities, with the idea that we'd be free to offer extra cash for outstanding service as we were moved to do so. Now I suspect "tip watchers" will be assuming we are stiffing our waiters and others. :(

Jan & Jim

Now I know I'm in trouble! For the first time, on our 3/20 cruise on Galaxy, we opted for prepaid gratuities, with the idea that we'd be free to offer extra cash for outstanding service as we were moved to do so. Now I suspect "tip watchers" will be assuming we are stiffing our waiters and others. :(

Jan & Jim

We also opt for prepaid gratuities with the idea that we can always offer extra cash, as well.

I really think all cruise lines should go to auto tipping and call it a service fee that cannot be removed. Then all the people would get what they are owed and the cheapskates won't have a choice. For those that want to tip more, go ahead and do so.

If you feel some sort of pleasure by putting money in the hand of your server because you want to be thanked, then give them extra.

Flagger has been very vocal, if you can be vocal on a bulletin board, that he does not believe in tipping and does not tip. I don't recall if he has ever said if he informs his steward, waiter, etc. upon his arrival of his philosophy and intention. Anyone know? Has he changed his ways?

Regards

Flagger has been very vocal, if you can be vocal on a bulletin board, that he does not believe in tipping and does not tip. I don't recall if he has ever said if he informs his steward, waiter, etc. upon his arrival of his philosophy and intention. Anyone know? Has he changed his ways?

Regards

Are you sure he really doesn't tip? Is it possible that it was a joke in reaction to people who posted about significant overtipping?

We have only cruised once but prepaid tips. Gave extra on our final night to our waiters. We are cruising in June on HA. Thinking about having room service some this time (didn't the first time) Should you give a tip (cash) to whomever delivers your food? Also they say that a tip is added on for bar service so I assume that you do not need to worry about that? We also left a little more in our cabin for our steward. Think if you get extra good service it should be rewarded. They tell you that you can reduce the customary but think unless you have had very bad service this would not be right.

I really think all cruise lines should go to auto tipping and call it a service fee that cannot be removed. Then all the people would get what they are owed and the cheapskates won't have a choice. For those that want to tip more, go ahead and do so.

That sounds like the perfect solution on paper, but the truth is it wouldn't work out that way in the long run. If the plan you suggested were implemented, then the staff would in effect be receiving a regular wage. They would have no incentive to provide you with good service because they already have your money, which -- under your plan -- you would not be able to remove. Granted, some people provide good service regardless of the possible compensation simply because that is their personal work ethic, but I believe over the long haul this plan would result in reduced service for many passengers.

On a different note:

Someone also mentioned a comparison of tipping 10% or 15% in land-based restaurants. Please remember (and I say this as a former server & bartender who understands supporting yourself off of tips) that the standard tipping for dinner is now 20% and has been for quite some time -- especially in a fine dining restaurant where you're paying $100 or more for 2 people. Thus, the specialty restaurant tip of $30pp actually is closer to a total food bill of $300 for 2 people, not $600 or more as suggested in the previous post. Still more than sufficient, yes, but not ludicrous as implied.

We have only cruised once but prepaid tips. Gave extra on our final night to our waiters. We are cruising in June on HA. Thinking about having room service some this time (didn't the first time) Should you give a tip (cash) to whomever delivers your food? Also they say that a tip is added on for bar service so I assume that you do not need to worry about that? We also left a little more in our cabin for our steward. Think if you get extra good service it should be rewarded. They tell you that you can reduce the customary but think unless you have had very bad service this would not be right.

For room service $2 or $3 (cash) each time thet deliver is fine. If you frequent the same bar youmay want to leave something once a week extra if the service is exceptional. It frequently is I've found. Although I had a bad experience on one ship with the wait staff in the main dining room I didn't reduce the tip since I know how important it is to them. I was at a table for 2 and pretty much ignored but with all the larger tables they had to take care of I sort of understood. I didn't like it but I understood. :rolleyes:

Can I point out to posters that if you book in the UK through certan agencies(who happen to be ones who usually can give you excellent prices) the addition of prepaid tips which appear as a Service Charge on the holiday invoice, is part of the package. I ascertained you cannot remove this if youwant to have the deal they are offering - personally that does not bother me and I am happy to go along with it as it saves us getting more dollars to bring out with us.

Archived