Some tips on obtaining a refund on board of refundable OBC

Turtles06

My wife and I are on board the Gem right now, sadly nearing the end of B2B Panama Canal cruises.  

It’s the first time we’ve ever had refundable OBC (thanks to some cancelled shorex and some refunds for the non-working internet access that plagued the first leg of our trip).  I’ve read here on CC that this money can’t be returned to your credit card, but must be collected in cash at Guest Services, on the morning of disembarkation or the night before. I’ve also read that Guest Services has no coins and will round your refund down to the nearest dollar. Some of these things are true, and others are not, at least here on the Gem.  Here’s my experience:

Yes, you need to be paid out in cash, at the Finance Desk of Guest Services. But as long as you have a credit card on your account, you do NOT have to wait until the last minute to collect your money. Just go down there whenever you want and get it.  If you later have any other charges on board (not offset by any non-refundable OBC), they’ll wind up on your credit card just as they would if you never had any refundable OBC in the first place. No rounding down of the refunded amount, either. The Finance Desk staffer asked if I wanted the 82 cents of my $xxx.82 refund, and I said I did, given that NCL has taken nickel and diming to new highs (or lows).  She smiled, reached into her money envelope, and counted out 82 cents in coins. 😊

I hope this info may be helpful to others.  At the very least, if you have refundable OBC, go down to Finance at some point during the cruise when it’s not busy, and ask about their process. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

82 cents. LOL

I do have a change jug in my garage that I throw change into....one of those 5 gallon water things.   

As to your nickel and diming comment?  What exactly where you forced to purchase on board?  I have to admit, on my various cruises, I have never been forced to buy anything I didn't agree to.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

82 cents. LOL

I do have a change jug in my garage that I throw change into....one of those 5 gallon water things.   

As to your nickel and diming comment?  What exactly where you forced to purchase on board?  I have to admit, on my various cruises, I have never been forced to buy anything I didn't agree to.  

Did the OP say they were forced to purchase anything or did I just miss it in their comment?

• Thanks 2

Last cruise (July 2022) I had $13 something credit at end of cruise, after loads of OBCs after itinerary change that cancelled several expensive excursions, buying CNs, and little shopping, as well as some upgrades in the specialty restaurants.

I was going to let the $13 something go - BUT .... upon disembarkation I got flagged .... I said, nay let it go .... but they would NOT disembark me until I collected the $13 something credit. I went groan thinking I'd have to go to the Guest Services but they already put up folding table next to the exit/gangway with an account clerk sitting there with a cashiers till with cash/money. 

It was the first cruise that we ever disembarked with some credit!!

• Like 1