Balcony room worth the price & OWB recommendation in Moorea.

Little Rascal

Hi,

I’m new to Paul Gauguin cruise line but I have heard so many wonderful reviews from friends over the last 20 + years and we are finally booking a 10 day cruise for next June. I have a few questions.

1) I’m thinking also of booking a few nights in Moorea in a OWB at the beginning of the cruise. (After reading some post from here on when to do it). Which one do you think is the nicest experience?  

2). Is the Balcony upgrade worth the price from the ocean view cabin?  Does the ship have nice areas to sit if we don’t get a balcony room?  I had read here that they are on the small side. The trip is expensive overall but it looks so beautiful. 

Thank you for any comments. 

I do not suggest the balcony.  The standard balcony rooms are the same size as the E level cabins (200 square feet) but of course have a small balcony.  Tons of great areas on the ship to enjoy the view.  For the approximate $2k per person difference I would not do it.

We have done Moorea both pre cruise and also post cruise.  I personally prefer post cruise and then add in the day or so before the cruise on Tahiti.  I prefer this if you international flight leaves in the evening.  In this way you stay on Moorea until the last ferry and head to the airport.  If your flight is an early flight (usually around 7:00 am) prefer Moorea first.  In this way you get off the ship at around 4:30 am and head to the airport.

You need to leave the ship by about 10:00 am on your last day.  If you do Moorea first you have to figure out what to do on the last day, with your luggage, if you have a late evening flight.  Options include trying to get a day room at a hotel (very iffy if you can get one), take a tour on Tahiti and have the tour operator keep your luggage for you, or rent a car and explore).

• Like 1

Some posters here are fond of saying “the ship is your balcony” …it’s your choice, but for us, I love a balcony for the early morning views, solitude and coffee, I love the balcony for late afternoon drinks and snacks after a great day snorkeling, sailing, hiking and touring…and I love a balcony for late night relaxation before retiring for the night…we had an aft cabin with balcony and it was amazing

• Like 2

The balcony question depends on what is important. I don't use the balcony very much but my BH loves it. We were in a window room last October and she really missed having her balcony. She would enjoy her coffee and continental breakfast while she put on her makeup on the balcony  ... Are there places to enjoy the views on the ship? Of course ...

Remember embarkation is only between 3PM and 5PM. You can not take and afternoon flight from the west coast and arrive in Tahiti in the evening to board the ship, you must go the day before and spend the night or do the red eye which arrives in the early morning. 

A few days on the islands before the cruise is nice as you get on FP time. Moorea is so accessible for a  few days before your cruise. The Sofitel and the Hilton really deliver for a few days. Nice thing is the ship is only 100 yards from the ferry terminal ... to go from Moorea back to Tahiti on an ferry that arrives around 2PM - 4PM and walk your bags and yourself over to the ship.

As far as the return I don't like the early departure in the morning ... to early for me. United has the earliest night flight back to the west coast but you still need to find a way to burn about 8 hours before heading to the airport. As Medic stated a day room isn't easy to get unless your ready to spend a large sum. I usually rent a car and drive around Tahiti stopping for sites and a bit of shopping but make sure your bags are not visible. Another way is to get off the ship once you arrive back in Tahiti (around 7PM) and head directly to the airport taking a late flight back to the west coast. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Little Rascal said:

1) I’m thinking also of booking a few nights in Moorea in a OWB at the beginning of the cruise. (After reading some post from here on when to do it). Which one do you think is the nicest experience?  

I have stayed at Hilton Moorea and thought it was a good experience in the OWB. I would do it again. It's even better if you have Hilton HHonors status for included breakfast and chance for an upgrade. If you don't have status, it comes with some credit cards.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. We booked today the window cabin. We will spend three nights in Moorea and then three nights after the cruise in Tahiti. Next decisions will be picking excursions. ☺️. Thank you for your help. Im sure I’ll have more questions. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Supertuscan99 said:

Some posters here are fond of saying “the ship is your balcony” …it’s your choice, but for us, I love a balcony for the early morning views, solitude and coffee, I love the balcony for late afternoon drinks and snacks after a great day snorkeling, sailing, hiking and touring…and I love a balcony for late night relaxation before retiring for the night…we had an aft cabin with balcony and it was amazing

I love aft cabins too.