Royal or Discovery for Alaska? (Focus on Itinerary or New Ship?!)

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We are booking a big family Alaska trip for this summer out of Seattle (likely end of May) and it will different generations traveling: elderly, middle age, teen boys and a 4 year old--all but my husband and I have never been on a cruise or Alaska. In 2017, my husband and I (before our 4 year old was born) did the Ruby Princess which we enjoyed (and which had Glacier Bay on the itinerary).

Question is this: I really want to try the new ship Discovery Princess but its glacier stop is Endicott Arm and it's only there from 6 am to 10 am, whereas Royal is at Glacier Bay most of the day--I will admit that Glacier Bay was amazing when we saw it and I want our family members (first time Alaska travelers) to be able to experience something similar...will Endicott Arm for a few hours be "good enough?"

Also, how is the entertainment/activities for teenagers on Royal vs. Discovery? Any other important differences? (My husband, son and I just did the Norwegian Bliss last month so I imagine Discovery is similar to that?)

Thank you!

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1

Itinerary for Alaska. Definitely Glacier Bay, particularly for a lot of newcomers! Nothing compares.

And, slightly lower capacity on Royal, which makes for better viewing space on deck, etc. And, the Retreat Pool on Royal isn't surrounded by cabins, which leaves window space on both sides to view instead of it being closed in by cabins 

Itinerary, Glacier Bay, which would mean Royal.. 

• Like 2

We were on the Discovery last July (2022) and loved the ship.  However, due to FOG the ship did not enter Endicott arm.  We have been on other cruises where the itinerary was changed due to sea, weather, or other conditions.  Anymore we try to pick a ship we would enjoy even if it doesn't go where we thought we were going.

• Like 2

I have 2 teen boys and they could care less about the ship.  We've been on the Grand, Majestic, Ruby, and Regal.  They liked all of them.  They like the movies at night, the ice cream, the pizza, the international cafe, and the kids club has xbox and PlayStation.  We were recently on a Celebrity cruise and they were incredibly disappointed because only xbox was available.  Who knew Super Smash Bros tournaments made a cruise that much more enjoyable?! 

• Like 1