Door/Cabin Decor

JenCruise710

One of my favorite parts of cruising years ago was decorating our cabin and door. Is this still a thing? Do they have any new rules around it? We haven't cruised in 6 years and this will be our daughter's first cruise. Trying to make it as fun as possible (and easy to find our room!). We're sailing over July 4th week, so I have lots of fun ideas if it's still allowed! 

Yes it is still a thing!  Lol

DECORATING YOUR STATEROOM DOOR AND STATEROOM

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scoobysnacks70 said:

Yes it is still a thing!  Lol

DECORATING YOUR STATEROOM DOOR AND STATEROOM

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed

"Fire retardant materials" seems challenging. So, I guess nothing paper/cardboard... plastic maybe? Hmmm...

3 minutes ago, JenCruise710 said:

"Fire retardant materials" seems challenging. So, I guess nothing paper/cardboard... plastic maybe? Hmmm...

That is how I took it as well.  I just ordered decorative magnets from Amazon and used command strips to secure them.  Either the magnets were weak or the paint on the door was too thick 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

For my own curiosity, I checked the room doors on the last two Carnival ships that I sailed (Breeze, Vista).  Magnets were not attracted to the doors, but did stick to the door handle cover plate.

I don't do door decorations (not opposed, just not my thing), but I would highly recommend that passengers only use material that is specifically labeled as fire retardant.  Regular plastic is definitely not fire retardant.

I've never been on a Carnival ship where magnets actually stuck to the doors. (The cabin ceilings, yes.) The last time we decorated our door, we used painter's tape, which leaves no residue, if very lightweight, and easy to remove.

Most of the decor I've seen have been things like photos, paper banners, and things you can find at a party supply store. We once covered our door in wrapping paper and hung photo props on the door handle with a note inviting people to have fun with it. We saw quite a few people stopping to take pictures lol

These are inexpensive and work great for sticking decorations on the door.  They're made for balloons but hold other objects well.  They don't leave any residue when removed, they just come off in a little sticky ball.  They are similar to the sticky glue dots inside folded advertising postcards that are sent as junk mail.  They're spaced about an inch apart which works great with heavier items, just roll it out then peel off the backing paper.

https://www.amazon.com/1600pcs-Removable-Adhesive-Balloons-Decoration/dp/B09MK8VZKN/ref=sr_1_6?crid=U07GLFNT1LVD&keywords=balloon+dots+adhesive&qid=1676675297&sprefix=baloon+dots%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-6

1600pcs Glue Point Clear Balloon Glue Removable Adhesive Dots Double Sided Dots of Glue Tape for Balloons Party or Wedding...

• Like 4

I had special-ordered some decorations for my daughters’ cabin door on the Splendor last month. Most of the magnetic decorations stuck just fine. Unfortunately, somebody took some of them. (They did leave the main magnet, which had the family name. My daughters brought that in their cabin so that it, too, wouldn’t disappear.) First time we’d done door decorations, so it was a little disappointing.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:42 PM, scoobysnacks70 said:

Either the magnets were weak or the paint on the door was too thick 🤷‍♀️

I always decorate our door and my experience with the magnets is that the refrigerator / craft type are too weak and will not hold.    You just need to purchase a more heavy duty brand and it will work just fine.