Celebrity for a mother/son spring break cruise?

Sigyn

My sons are a bit older but they have enjoyed sleepier cruises at that age. I took my younger son on a trip when he was 18, right when the world opened up, on Apex. He's not someone who minds being around adults and he loved that trip - he brought it up to me last night as a wonderful thing we did together. The one thing he wished it had was a basketball court. 

I'm a big fan of mother-son trips! My dad's gone now and I have great memories of doing things with him, just the two of us.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:26 AM, njsmom said:

I think I'll take my 15-year-old son on a last-minute spring break cruise. Would Celebrity be a good choice? And if so, which ship? I know a lot of people opt for Carnival or Royal Caribbean for kids and teenagers, but we just did Norwegian for a holiday cruise and my son mostly preferred swimming in the pool, hanging out on the deck in the loungers as he listened to his music and napping in the observation lounge. If there is a ship with a basketball court or a jogging course, he'd be in absolute heaven. 

If not Celebrity, then please recommend which cruise line and ship. He's off school April 1-10, so of course we're limited in which cruises we can do. I am thinking Celebrity because it would make me happiest. My husband can't come along because he's stuck at work on a big project and he has limited vacation time, whereas I have weeks and weeks more than him. He said, "Go, have fun! Enjoy! I'll take care of our Maine Coon cats and play golf after work!" His own mini vacation. 🙂

Not sure what type of stateroom you are considering, but here’s another vote for Celebrity.

It sounds like your son is not necessarily seeking out “high energy” on board. Celebrity could certainly make sense for both of you. Millennium offers a 7 Night Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan that would involve 5 port stops as opposed to the normal 3 port stops out of Florida. I see you will be on Millennium for one of your upcoming cruises. If you have not sailed on her, it would give you an opportunity to scout out the ship.

If you are considering a suite for your cruise, Royal Suites on this itinerary are currently being offered at a price that is below that of a Celebrity Suite. Royal Suites are larger, and this price advantage is certainly unusual. Remember, all perks are included in the Retreat pricing. Luminae would be your main dining venue, and will give you an alternative experience  if you have not dined here before.

You would also need to factor in your airfare to and from San Juan, in order to determine if this itinerary is a reasonable alternative. Your vacation would probably need to start March 31/23, as the itinerary begins April 1/23. Not sure if that is a potential deal breaker.

Just a thought.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

On 2/18/2023 at 10:06 AM, mahdnc said:

Based on your description of your son, a Celebrity cruise over Spring Break will be just fine for him.

My recommendation is the 7 night Eastern Caribbean sailing on Reflection out of Ft Lauderdale on Sunday Apr 2: link

Reflection is one of my favorite ships and she is the youngest (i.e newest) of the S class ships. Reflection has some nice specialty restaurants. Our kids enjoyed the Lawn Club Grille. In particular (photo). Also I see you have some Celebrity cruises in the future (right?) and Reflection complements the other ships you will be on. 

The 7 night cruise fits neatly in your available time window. 

5F192527-B4A3-4864-A91D-7464A973229A.thumb.jpeg.2dec3da5c2306a38b1b05cafc4ee779f.jpeg

Our son making our flatbread in the Lawn Club Grille while his sister cheers him on (Jan 2019)

We were on this cruise with you and had dinner with you and Marcia and the kids several nights.  We cherish these memories.  We absolutely loved the Reflection and are actually leaving on the Infinity around the Horn on March 11 from Buenos Aires.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sykimball1498 said:

We were on this cruise with you and had dinner with you and Marcia and the kids several nights.  We cherish these memories.  We absolutely loved the Reflection and are actually leaving on the Infinity around the Horn on March 11 from Buenos Aires.  

Hi, Samantha.  Marcia and I very much enjoyed our dinners with you and Pierre!! We hope you both are doing well.

We took the same Infinity cruise but in the other direction from Valparaiso some six years ago. You’re going to really love it!!!!  Say hi to Pierre for us. 

David

19 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Hi, Samantha.  Marcia and I very much enjoyed our dinners with you and Pierre!! We hope you both are doing well.

We took the same Infinity cruise but in the other direction from Valparaiso some six years ago. You’re going to really love it!!!!  Say hi to Pierre for us. 

David

Will do.

• Like 1