Cruise to Son on Maui

jeff_connors

My son is stationed on Maui. I want to go see him (single cruiser) so was going to fly there and see if I can take a cruise around the islands. Initial look see shows very expensive compared to taking a mainland cruise there and back. Anyone know if there is a way to cruise there and stay for awhile and then board another ship for the return?  Seems that is cheaper. 

39 minutes ago, jeff_connors said:

My son is stationed on Maui. I want to go see him (single cruiser) so was going to fly there and see if I can take a cruise around the islands. Initial look see shows very expensive compared to taking a mainland cruise there and back. Anyone know if there is a way to cruise there and stay for awhile and then board another ship for the return?  Seems that is cheaper. 

This would have to be a cruise that begins in Vancouver, Canada, and ends in Hawaii.  However, these tend to be repositioning cruises, so the Vancouver-Hawaii are September, while the Hawaii to Vancouver ones are April.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeff_connors said:

Doubtful. I suggest you take a cruise here from the mainland and then just puddle jump from Honolulu to Kahalui and then fly home from Kahalui. Flights are, by far, the cheapest part of a Hawaiian vacation. 

This is NOT my area of expertise, but it is my understanding that under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, all of the inter-island cruise ships have to either be US flagged vessels or visit a foreign port.   There are no close foreign ports for ships to visit.  That is why the US mainland to Hawaii cruises always stop in Ensenda or Vancouver.  

Leaving aside the Mainland to Hawaii cruises, the inter-island cruises are expensive because the ships on these itineraries are US flagged.  That means that many of the employees have to be paid under US laws -- minimum wages, overtime and other labor standards, which are far more expensive than foreign-flagged vessels.  So the cruise prices have to reflect the much higher wages and other costs.

Have you ever noticed how few Americans are employed on cruise ships?  It's because we are far more expensive for the cruise line!  Most of the Americans are kids on the cruise director's staff, competing with Brits for the jobs!

Cruising one way definitely (via Vancouver there are multiple cruises each year), but as mentioned already these are 'one and dones' which either carry on to Australiasia or start sailing Alaska depending on time of year - so if you want to go Spring or Fall you can cruise one way but you'd have to fly the other.

• Like 1