Post-Cruise Options

macdon9876

We're taking a southern cruise from San Juan next month aboard Epic (first time on NCL). We're getting very excited for our first cruise since 2018!

We're travelling with extended family, and the group decided to use NCL's air program (which I've since read was probably a mistake, and our experience so far has been concerning - our return flight has changed three times so far). Our flights down (the day before the cruise) are decent and our extended family is all together on the way down. However, our family of four's flights home are separate from the others, and we don't fly until close to midnight on disembarkation day. (It will be a LONG night and day of travel - we're scheduled to land at our home airport at around 4pm the following day.)  This is with an 11- and 13-year-old, so not too young thankfully. I'd hate to do this with kids any younger!

We've considered various options for disembarkation day: trying to find a whole-day tour; renting a car; finding a hotel day pass; etc.  If anyone has experience in this type of situation I'd love to hear opinions. The biggest problem is our luggage - we don't want to haul that around all day.

Another option we're considering is finding a hotel in San Juan, close to or on a beach, which offers early check-in. We'd then at least have a "home base" for the day, and we could use the hotel room, enjoy the beach and wander a bit, eat supper, and then be able to shower and maybe take a snooze in the early evening before heading to SJU late evening to check in for the flight.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips! We've been to San Juan several times but only as a port of call, so not very familiar with the city, beaches, hotels, etc.

2 hours ago, macdon9876 said:

We're taking a southern cruise from San Juan next month aboard Epic (first time on NCL). We're getting very excited for our first cruise since 2018!

We're travelling with extended family, and the group decided to use NCL's air program (which I've since read was probably a mistake, and our experience so far has been concerning - our return flight has changed three times so far). Our flights down (the day before the cruise) are decent and our extended family is all together on the way down. However, our family of four's flights home are separate from the others, and we don't fly until close to midnight on disembarkation day. (It will be a LONG night and day of travel - we're scheduled to land at our home airport at around 4pm the following day.)  This is with an 11- and 13-year-old, so not too young thankfully. I'd hate to do this with kids any younger!

We've considered various options for disembarkation day: trying to find a whole-day tour; renting a car; finding a hotel day pass; etc.  If anyone has experience in this type of situation I'd love to hear opinions. The biggest problem is our luggage - we don't want to haul that around all day.

Another option we're considering is finding a hotel in San Juan, close to or on a beach, which offers early check-in. We'd then at least have a "home base" for the day, and we could use the hotel room, enjoy the beach and wander a bit, eat supper, and then be able to shower and maybe take a snooze in the early evening before heading to SJU late evening to check in for the flight.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips! We've been to San Juan several times but only as a port of call, so not very familiar with the city, beaches, hotels, etc.

TRy the courtyard by Marriott in Isle Verde,  The hotel sits on the beach and under 7 minutes to the airport.  We will be staying there again for the forth time in April.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, macdon9876 said:

Try Numero Uno direct for a Day Room Pass possibility.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Thanks 1