Crowne Plaza Or Residence Inn Long Beach Downtown?

Robroy

Wondering which hotel local experts (like Scottca075 in particular!) would recommend? We arrive at LAX about noon on a Wednesday for an overnight before sailing from the World Cruise Centre on the Thursday. Given that check-in is normally 4pm and that we will be arriving quite early, one of the factors will be whether the hotel will be able to mind our luggage until we can check in. I realize the Crowne Plaza is very near the port and there are some good restaurants nearby but we aren't concerned about Ubering to the port or walking about a mile from the Residence Inn to restaurants. Just concerned that the Crowne Plaza will be full of cruisers likely on our sailing (Regatta) as opposed to the Residence Inn which is further away. I understand both hotels have good reviews.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

I think you understand the trade-offs and neither one is more correct than the other.

From the Crowne Plaza you can walk to the port if you choose and there are some good restaurants near by.

The Residence Inn has many more good restaurants near by, plus the Outlets at the Pike, the amusements of Shoreline Village and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Coming in as early as you are, the Residence Inn might make a lot of sense. I am sure the hotel will have no issues holding your luggage.

Thanks for your recommedation Scott. I suspected that the Crown Plaza might be really busy and the fact that the Residence Inn is a bit out of the way our chance of finding a quieter hotel might work out well. Appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers,

Rob

1 hour ago, Robroy said:

Thanks for your recommedation Scott. I suspected that the Crown Plaza might be really busy and the fact that the Residence Inn is a bit out of the way our chance of finding a quieter hotel might work out well. Appreciate your thoughts!

It will be fine, but if there is a Carnival ship leaving the same day, the RI could be full of cruisers too 😁

Carnival has multiple ships sailing out of Long Beach so there's usually one leaving most days...and that Residence Inn is very close...and those Carnival ships hold a LOT of passengers...

If your flight arrives at LAX at Noon Wednesday, realize that it is going to take some time t actually collect your luggage, find your ground transportation and get down to the harbor.  I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza and have made it down there before noon and checked in early...and not waited until official check-in town.  If they have a room available, they won't make you wait.  Otherwise, the hotel will keep your luggage. 

The restaurants in San Pedro are much closer to the Crowne Plaza than the ones in Long Beach are to the Residence Inn Downtown--where you need to cross the bridge...and, with one night, you really only need one restaurant.  Unless you have a specific desire to go see the Aquarium or the Queen Mary--and with little time left on your Wednesdy afternoon--I would choose to opt the convenience of being in San Pedro and near your ship.

• Like 1

Thanks Riff. That had been my past experience on many visits to the States but I had been a bit concerned about reviews indicating room readiness taking longer especially as the Crowne seems to be primarily a cruise overnight hotel. One in particular as a Diamond status customer couldn't get a room early.

We decided to go with the Residence Inn as it seems there is no Carnival ship in port that day so it should be strictly convention trade. Thanks for all of the helpful comments though!

Cheers,

Rob

3 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Hi, jumping in on this thread. Will be leaving on Carnival out of Long beach in October. Are there any hotels within walking distance of a grocery store or even better a Walmart or Target? Thanks!

The port is in Downtown Long Beach essentially. There are no Targets or Walmarts "close". There are grocery stores and CVS/Rite Aid close to the Downtown hotels.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 2 recent cruises and find it a perfect hotel for pre-cruise stay. We typically stay 2 nights and have not been bothered by extreme numbers of other cruisers.  Walking distance to many good restaurants especially for breakfast.  We love walking to the pier and we also enjoy a visit to the USS Iowa Battleship since we are from Iowa (and get to go onboard for free).