Cleaning - What do they do?

I am going on the Odyssey Transatlantic in late April and heard that room stewards no longer clean/turn down rooms twice a day like they used to. We just came off of a Celebrity cruise and the twice daily cleaning schedule was the same as before. 

The last time we cruised on Royal in 2022, it was still twice a day. I have read recently that cleaning is only once a day effective in March 2023. I am guessing the cleaning is in the morning, right? I also hear that twice daily cleaning service is still in place for Suites. We will not be in a suite. 

I am mostly curious how the stewards handle 14 day cruises. Hoping they will change sheets every week. Hoping planners will still be delivered at night. Does anyone know of the change? 

Not a big deal, just wrapping my head around all the changes. 

Thanks.

Suzi

On 2/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

I didn't know, that is why I asked.   What I have to go on is hotel experience.  I expect cruise cleaning to be better, but I wasn't sure how much.  

Royal Cruises use to change Sheets everyday, like most Hotels only once a week unless requested. Supposed to be save the environment but more to do with $$$ and time. My room attendant's do wipe my Cabin down, clean my bathroom and Vacuum every day and change Towels if not hung up. This all I know. Rare ever seen my Balcony Glass Doors done. Though can't say what you or other's will experience. Just leave a Nanny Cam in your Cabin like I do 😁

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sailfish said:

I am going on the Odyssey Transatlantic in late April and heard that room stewards no longer clean/turn down rooms twice a day like they used to. We just came off of a Celebrity cruise and the twice daily cleaning schedule was the same as before. 

The last time we cruised on Royal in 2022, it was still twice a day. I have read recently that cleaning is only once a day effective in March 2023. I am guessing the cleaning is in the morning, right? I also hear that twice daily cleaning service is still in place for Suites. We will not be in a suite. 

I am mostly curious how the stewards handle 14 day cruises. Hoping they will change sheets every week. Hoping planners will still be delivered at night. Does anyone know of the change? 

Not a big deal, just wrapping my head around all the changes. 

Thanks.

Suzi

Yes, I do 10-16 nite Cruises 3-4 times a Year min and they will do Sheets more then once a Sailing

On 2/19/2023 at 5:52 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

I am trying to set my expectation.   Things people have mentioned that is done during the room cleaning

1. Take dirty towels and leave clean towels.  
  2. Take away dirty dishes.  
  3. Make the bed.
  4. Leave ice if requested.
  5. Leave towel animals (maybe no longer?)   
  6. Leave the Cruise Compass in the evening (probably no longer)
  7. Put up and later down the non-standard beds.   (probably no longer)

Do they ever?
  8. change the sheets?
  9. Vacuum? 
  10. Clean the bathroom?

Have you stayed in hotels or ships before?  They clean your room.

29 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Have you stayed in hotels or ships before?  They clean your room.

They I said earlier, I've stayed in hotels and now that I think on it, one ship.   
For many years I travelled for work, around 180 hotel nights and around 30 round trips each year.  So I'm extremely familiar with hotels.   But I recognize that a cruise is hopefully better.  Nobody has discussed the shocking stuff that they found between the sheets on the first day, so it has to be better.   If they actually vacuum, I'll need to make sure that our stuff stays off the floor.   If they wipe down the bathroom sink counter space I'll need to make sure we put our hygiene stuff up.  etc.   

My one vacation on a ship was a week-long scuba live-aboard and they never entered my room, nor did I expect them too.  But then live-aboard trips are unique.   

On 2/19/2023 at 6:52 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

For example, if they don't vacuum daily, then a pile of dirty clothes in the corner won't be a problem.  If they do, I'll have to fuss at DH to actually use the pop-up hamper we'll have. 

What is he, regressing to his teenage years? This is what my 15-year-old does. Ack! 🤣

Edited by njsmom

On 2/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, njsmom said:

What is he, regressing to his teenage years? This is what my 15-year-old does. Ack! 🤣

I think it is more that he lived as a bachelor without a roommate until we married at around 40.  Early on it was a problem mainly because he didn't appreciate when I did his laundry.   Some of the clothes left around were meant to be worn again and his mind it was annoying that they were moved to some unknown place.  I don't understand that, I think clothes must be washed after they are worn.  Period.  Then I stopped doing his laundry.  Any clothing left on a chair or table are knocked onto the floor and walked on.   
Even then now at home we rarely have his clothes around.  In a bathroom remodel, a PAX wardrobe has some baskets for his dirties, and hooks for his still-clean.  

I try to make the attendants job as easy as possible.  Clothes are in drawers, closet or hamper.  Toiletries are in drawers or on shelves.  Shoes are out of the way.  Suitcases under the bed.  Why should they have to work around and through our stuff?