Ship time or Cozumel time when docked in Cozumel? (and other areas of Mexico)

tartana

I've posted in the port of call forum as well but since I'm sailing Celebrity, I thought I'd post here as well for the most accurate info.  I've never been on a ship where the ship time did not become the port time when docked.  I have been reading about the possibility of ships keeping their own time and not changing to Cozumel's time due to the fact that Mexico (or parts of Mexico anyway) don't change for Daylight Savings TIme.  Is this something that is the norm?  Don't worry, I will make sure before we leave the ship; however, I just was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? 

I have had it happen in Belize. The captain chose not to change the ship time to local time.  So it does occasionally happen, and you won’t know ahead of time so watch the daily program. On embarkation day there should be a summary of the entire cruise and it will tell you if they plan to shift clocks forward or back. That doesn’t necessarily tell you if they will be matching local time or not, but they definitely will explain it in the daily

The only answer is that you'll just have to wait and see when you get on board.  It's entirely in the Captain's discretion as to what ship time is.  In any case, it won't be hard to know what ship time will be.  If nothing else, you can ask your friendly dining waiter the night before.  They will know.

When I started cruising nearly 30 years ago, ship time never changed (unless, perhaps, you were crossing more than 1 time zone).  It was what it was when you boarded, and it stayed that way.  Of course, that's also when you had to manually set your watch.

Nowadays, it seems that ship time regularly changes to local port time.  I suspect that is because nearly everyone now relies on a device that automatically changes to local time.