Don't leave anything behind on Celebrity!

LuvCelebrity

Then the title should read...I made a mistake and need advice...imflammatory titles breed confrontational threads.

In saying that, if I completely misunderstood the OPs tone, I am sorry.

I left my new X cheapo windbreaker on the Millie. Emailed CC a few times, of course they never bothered to email me back. So, I replaced it with a new one on our last cruise. Guess what, I left that one too. I would say some people never learn but in my case I did. I didnt email CC the second time. LOL Seriously though, it's a big deal when it happens to YOU. Reading this thread has shed a lot of light on X's side. You could probably fill a small truck with all the stuff left behind after each cruise. I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

Once again a legitimate posting of a problem is met with some hostility, some blaming the poster and of course the always to be counted upon defending Celebrity.

There are two issues here. The poster, negligently left an item behind. It is not unreasonable to ask if it was found and if it could be returned. As noted other posters have had this happen. The other issue is Celebrity's response. Dispensing misinformation and rudeness can never be defended.

If there is a lost and found, then there should be a procedure for returning property.

QUOTE: "Also, it is pretty obvious which items are valuable and which are not. Let's be realistic, temptation might be resposnsible for some of these things being charitable contributions to staff in many cases. I had a nice dress go this way once and it wasn't on Celebrity(one of the rare times I had a female cabin attendant). I just hope she enjoys it because I know they make little money for what they do." NOTE: I don't know how to do the quote thing, so I just pasted it in.

Just because empoyees are paid very little does not justify taking others property and should not be defended.

I found it funny, in a way that one reponse critical of blaming others for their own actions was later justified because the original poster used an "inflammatory title"

Regards

When you stop and think about it this policy make good sense. Many people take things they no longer want on a cruise and leave it rather than pack it and take it home. This includes underwear and make-up and other things I cannot begin to imagine.

To call everyone that leaves something to determine if it is of value would be costly and time comsuming. I feel sorry that you lost something of value but I understand the position of X.

I would be curious about some of the things people abandon after their cruise. I bet people will start posting the things they leave behind.

My wife leaves me tied up in the closet. But the crew always set's me free and I get home.

Dam I just found I left my lucky paper clip in the ship safe.

Call out the Coast Gused. Have the ship stopped. They may try to trade it for something more in Mexico.

I just spoke with the Star Desk at Celebrity. That's for one stop does all for the 8 top producing agencies in the country.

Found items are sent to Miami.

You were given incorrect information. Call the lost and found department. Ask to speak to the head of the department. Lost items of clothing found on the ship are either discarded or given to charity. Only items of 'perceived value', such as jewelry, electronics, etc. are returned to Miami. This is Celebrity Cruises' policy. I checked several times to make sure.

David.

I left behind a shirt jacket on our Hawaii cruise. I thought I had checked everything, but I may have left it folded up on an upper shelf. When I called Celebrity they told me the same thing as LuvCelebrity. They said that they give away left behind items to charity unless it's luggage or something of extreme value.

My wife's mother mistakenly left her wedding ring in the vault on the Millenium. When she called to see if it was found Celebrity told her it had been. After driving to Miami to pick it up she was told that they now could not find it and that there wasn't anything they could/would do about it. She's now off to small claims court.

They said that they give away left behind items to charity unless it's luggage or something of extreme value.

Back to the missing passenger.. her luggage was also given to charity. When I asked about this topic last week a crew member told me that any crew talking about this case would be subject to instant dismissal.

Without any sarcasm .. Celebrity does not give a **** about anyone's problem even when they're at fault. A friend of mine left his camera and case in Michael's club during trivia. A fellow guest told the activities staff member that they knew who it belonged to and would return it to him. The staff put it on a chair and said no, leave it here and he will be back for it. When he returned it was gone. The staff/ security would not even review the tape from the surveillance camera to see who lifted the $1000 worth of cameras and lenses. Once the crew member took possession he was responsible and should have taken it to guest relations. A report was filed and the CD said that Celebrity would take care of it... and said otherwise minutes before disembarkation.

We had the same thing happen to us after a cruise on Infinity last December. We noticed the day after we left the ship that we had left two rain jackets in the coat closet of the Royal Suite we were staying in. My husband called that day and talked to Lost and Found. They told him he had to call back in a week when the ship was back in port. We waited, and he called back only to be told that the jackets had been either given away or thrown out...

Sorry...

#1. The ship is NOT your personal garbage can to leave unwanted items on.

#2 If it was THAT important to you..you would not have forgotten it.

Being said, we all rush, we all make mistakes...BUT it is NOT the ships resposibility to babysit us. Too bad.

We never leave things behind on purpose, and if its by accident we accept the consiquences.

The ship needs to turn around for the next 1500+ passengers. It would be REALLY difficult to collect and tag misc. items for every cabin. NOT their responsibility.

I used to work at Delta airlines and during a quick turn we would THROW AWAY cell phones, medications, and even laptops.

IF ITS THAT IMPORTANT, you wouldn't leave it.

The ship IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for what you leave behind. THEY CANNOT DECIDE if it was left in mistake, or on purpose, and they have NO OBLIGATION to contact you to ask.

Get over it and stop passing the blame.

Dave:eek:

Sorry...

Being said, we all rush, we all make mistakes...BUT it is NOT the ships resposibility to babysit us. Too bad.

We never leave things behind on purpose, and if its by accident we accept the consiquences.

The ship needs to turn around for the next 1500+ passengers. It would be REALLY difficult to collect and tag misc. items for every cabin. NOT their responsibility.

I used to work at Delta airlines and during a quick turn we would THROW AWAY cell phones, medications, and even laptops.

The ship IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for what you leave behind. THEY CANNOT DECIDE if it was left in mistake, or on purpose, and they have NO OBLIGATION to contact you to ask.

As I said before, I am NOT blaming Celebrity for my mistake. You obviously never make mistakes, but I did. I accept the responsibility. The point of my posting was to inform other people on this board of this policy that they may not be aware of. I still think, though, that Celebrity's policy is not fair and, by the way, other cruise lines do not have the same policy, I checked. Dave, I don't understand why you feel the need to yell at me and to be so nasty.

David

Sorry...

As I said before, I am NOT blaming Celebrity for my mistake. You obviously never make mistakes, but I did. I accept the responsibility. The point of my posting was to inform other people on this board of this policy that they may not be aware of. I still think, though, that Celebrity's policy is not fair and, by the way, other cruise lines do not have the same policy, I checked. Dave, I don't understand why you feel the need to yell at me and to be so nasty.

David

some of us get it. Many very defensive sailors here will not allow criticism in any way. We must choose our words more carefully. We would not want to upset the possible upgrade karma!!

People pleeease, lighten up.

David, I do appreciate your posting to warn us of Celebrity's policy. It is good to know this, especially since other cruise lines don't have this policy. I agree that it doesn't make sense, especially for items left in the stateroom, where cruise staff would know to whom it belonged.

I watched with great interest the coverage on the missing passenger on the Alaska cruise and one of the aspects I was most appalled about was that the ship personnel packed up all of these lady's things, including her wallet, and gave them to charity. All during this time, I had assumed that was mishandling on the part of the ship personnel. I had not idea that this was done pursuant to Celebrity policy. This certainly lowers my opinion of Celebrity. :(

No solo cruises for me on Celebrity. :eek:

Not to sound rude but why should Celebrity take more care of an object then the owner of that object.

People accidentally leave things behind all the time. Celebrity can not be held responsible for returning every single object. It would have to go through the Miami office. The Miami office has to handle 28 ships. With a low estimated average of 2000 people per ship, that is 56,000 people per week. Lets say ten people from every ship forget something. Thats 280 objects to return per week.

We should all take responsibility for our own belongings and our own actions.

Any respectable hotel in the country has a lost and found department. Why should Celebrity have anything less? Things happen - people forget things and a good service oriented business makes contingencies for that type of thing. It IS a service business. I would be just as angry as the original poster.

Several years ago, my wife left her diamond neckless in the safe on the Century.

When we returned home and unpacked, she found out that she did leave the neckless. She called Celebrity and got the Centuries direct phone number, called that number and talked to guest relations.

The person she talked to forwarded her telephone call to butler that we had and he went to the cabin (while still on the phone with my wife) and found that the neckless was still in the safe and took it down to guest relations (again all with my wife and the butler talking on the phone).

It took three weeks to get the neckless back, but Celebrity was fantastic.

I bet my wife that there was no way she was going to get her neckless back. It would not of been Celebritys fault for us leaving something behind it was ours.

We could not have been happier with the way we were treated, regarding the neckless.

Great story - but what is a neckless?

Great story - but what is a neckless?

It's a necklace that is less a neck... ie it's been misplaced, I thought that was obvious in the context given.:rolleyes:

As I roll along toward senility, I find I can't remember squat when I have lots going on. Soooo, my DH and I now separately open every drawer, double check the safe, check beneath the cushions & under the bed, and take one last look in the closets before we leave the cabin (with my DH having the "official" last look - it's a last word, guy thing I think ;) ). We've developed a sort of a checklist-like procedure we used in the military for preflight.

Both HAL and Celebrity have not returned clothing items which I always kick myself for leaving (bathing suit in the shower and such), but Celebrity returned my pocket-sized binoculars that were in the sofa cushions - and I hadn't even missed them! So obviously they make some sort of a decision about value and good will when they find something. I'm just trying to do a better job doublechecking these days.

I agree that there's really no excuse for rudeness by customer service, however. Maybe someone was having a bad day. We can only hope.

Years ago (a lot of them), I worked for a major hotel chain in Chicago on their front desk. When a left item was turned in, the hotel had a policy of NOT notifying the guest that something had been left. It was explained to me that this was a matter of discretion. The hotel would hold the items and send them to a guest when claimed, but would never notify a guest. Apparently they had talked to the wife of one guest in order to return her earings only to learn she was not the woman occupying the room with the hotel guest. The legal department established the new policy.

So, I can't blame Celebrity for not notifying a cruiser that he had left something behind. As for their responsibility to hold a left item, I don't know what legal obligation exists, if any. However, it doesn't seem right that they would dispose of them without notice, although I am aware that that was done in the case of the missing woman.

Seems that I heard on the news that the US Congress is looking into cruise industry security, in part due to the groom on the RCCL, but they also plan to investigate the way the missing woman on the Celebrity ship was handled. I wonder if there is any connection.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that Ocngypz was given bad information about Celebrity policy. Her information has always been accurate and dead on.

It is definitely a puzzle, but not as great a puzzle as how emotional this discussion has become.

Susan

It's a necklace that is less a neck... ie it's been misplaced, I thought that was obvious in the context given.:rolleyes:

Some people say it so well, and I am embarassed that the obvious slipped right past me! Thanks

As a matter of fact, I apparently left a small photo album of my 4 grandchildren on the Infinity in March 2005 and calls to their lost and found proved useless. I can't image the album had any value to anyone except my husband and I but it was never returned to us after multiple contacts with Celebrity. The pictures were priceless to us but unfortunately nobody bothered to turn them in so that was the end of the matter. JoyCarol

Archived