Tipping to get better table in Dining Rooms

garycarla

1. We got one of the best tables in The Wake on the first night....walked in and it was available (right by the window with super view).  We didn't look great or anything.  You know, embarkation day tired, etc. not dressed up.  I would suggest you ask nicely.  We offered a tip after a spa service and were politely refused.  Others have reported similar things including offering $100 to the suite agent and had them again explain that it is neither necessary or expected.  My suggestion would be to arrive early and if you want a particular table, ask for it and be willing to wait till it opens.
  • Like 2

Generally speaking Virgin Voyages staff will refuse tips, don’t make it awkward by trying. 
Dining early (6pm) is more likely to get the better tables as they aren’t already occupied. Or go for brunch as it’s quieter and they mainly use the central section of the restaurant.

• Like 2

garycarla, it's an interesting question you ask and the simple answer may be: 'Be nice' as tips are not accepted.  The hostess's job (at the top of the steps at the Wake) is to confirm your reservations, check you in and hand you off to the person at the bottom of the steps who actually seats you.  (Even if the hostess accepts your tips she's not the decision maker to where you sit).

As others have mentioned, choosing to eat at 6 pm when the restaurants first open may afford your seater some leeway in the choice of tables. But when the restaurant reaches capacity, you'll get the next available table (maybe the only table available).

I only ever eat in the Wake on my 3 VV cruises so I can't speak to other venues but I don't remember ever sitting at a 'bad' table in the Wake.

• Like 1

Tips on board are covered. VV has created a culture to provide an incredible experience for their guests without tipping. This is one of the founding principles of their reimagined cruises.

I know... we are all conditioned to believe that we should tip on cruises, but let's respect the culture they have created. 

Each future guest will experience a spectacular experience without tipping, paying extra for specialty dining, or wi-fi. 

Just relax and enjoy!

(FYI... 7 VV cruises and counting)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, raphael360 said:

garycarla, it's an interesting question you ask and the simple answer may be: 'Be nice' as tips are not accepted.  The hostess's job (at the top of the steps at the Wake) is to confirm your reservations, check you in and hand you off to the person at the bottom of the steps who actually seats you.  (Even if the hostess accepts your tips she's not the decision maker to where you sit).

As others have mentioned, choosing to eat at 6 pm when the restaurants first open may afford your seater some leeway in the choice of tables. But when the restaurant reaches capacity, you'll get the next available table (maybe the only table available).

I only ever eat in the Wake on my 3 VV cruises so I can't speak to other venues but I don't remember ever sitting at a 'bad' table in the Wake.

The first person you talk to at the restaurant (at the top of the steps for the Wake, main entrance elsewhere) is the one assigning your table. They will tell the seater where to take you (via radio in the case of the Wake). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

The first person you talk to at the restaurant (at the top of the steps for the Wake, main entrance elsewhere) is the one assigning your table. They will tell the seater where to take you (via radio in the case of the Wake). 

You are probably right 🙂

3 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

Do you not thing it's nicer not to have to bribe staff to place you above paying guests onboard?

Good point.  And could be a good discussion.

Is it okay for some people to ask for a better seat above other guest onboard?

FYI - I am not saying either is a great idea and I am happy if they do NOT give preference to anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garycarla said:

Good point.  And could be a good discussion.

Is it okay for some people to ask for a better seat above other guest onboard?

FYI - I am not saying either is a great idea and I am happy if they do NOT give preference to anyone.

Anyone can ask, but flashing cash to try and get it is not good. 
Asking politely is fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rock stars are supposed to be given the best seats when possible, which is fair IMO since they are paying more for their cabins.  Otherwise, I think you can ask to be seated "over there" if you see a seat you would rather sit in other than where they have led you?   I think asking nicely is enough 🙂

Edited by LibratPDX

2 hours ago, LibratPDX said:

Rock stars are supposed to be given the best seats when possible, which is fair IMO since they are paying more for their cabins.  

i can attest this doesn't really happen - i've sailed as RS many times and mega twice and we've ended up with meh tables a few times, like right by the kitchen door in pink agave for instance, and when i was mega, we weren't able to get the middle table by the window at the wake, despite it being empty and set for just two!  i didn't think it was worth complaining so didn't bother.

• Like 3

As far as I know, tables are assigned according to what is next available for your party size without regard to whether your band is black, red, or purple.  If you want a specific seat, ask if it is available.  No, I've never seen anyone bribe a host or hostess to get a "better" seat.    We have asked for a specific TYPE of chair in some dining rooms in order to comfortably seat my family member with a physical disability.  For example, in Test Kitchen, she can't sit at the bar stool type seats; needs a chair with a back.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

There are only so many tables with the perfect view, so not everyone will get the best table.

Thankfully, those tables with the perfect view are surrounded by more tables whose views, although not perfect, would be hard to complain about, so on a 7 or 8 day cruise, you're bound to get a decent view somewhere.

If it's something that you've absolutely gotta have for something special like popping the question, I'd say speak to the Wake hostess early on, and prepare to be flexible with day/time.

Being nice helps too.

IMG_1929.JPG

• Like 2

We got that perfect seat on our first night on our first VV cruise...BUT it was sort of because I messed up.  We made 6pm dinner reservations thinking that we might miss lunch between leaving hotel, boarding times, etc.  We thought The Galley closed at 2 (actually 3), and didn't realize the other venues that would have food available.  And the view was lovely.  We had people coming over during our dinner to look out the windows (awkward).  We've eaten at The Wake several times since without the best view in the house.  I wouldn't say that it really made a big difference.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, garycarla said:

Okay, I get the no tipping onboard.   There are a few tables we would love to get - especially in the Wake.

Do they take tips there - or just ask nicely?

If you are a rockstar you will get the best table at the window.  They are normally reserved for them, so no worries on our cruise as a rockstar