Can you make wifi calls using the 150 free at sea Internet minutes?

LoungerOnBalcony55

5 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

i have an android and use WhatsApp.  i can do texting AND phone calls with that app with my 150 minutes.,

...okay now I'm confused...The 150 minutes will cover me for work if they allow WiFi calling. I REALLY don't want to have to spring for the upgrade to streaming/unlimited ($200+), but if you can't do WiFi calling on the free minutes I'll have no choice. Any iPhone users out there? 

Not sure what phone company you’re using but I know Verizon and AT&T has a plan when you are on an island …. For $10.00 you may talk and text and data for a 24 hour period… if you activate at 1pm you have until 12:59 the following day even if you are on another island!

18 minutes ago, Chelseaprincess said:

We were on the Jewel in January. I made a few calls on my iPhone using those 150 mins via Viber or WatsApp, audio only. The connection was great. 

I'm barely technologically literate. Is Viber or WatsApp different than just enabling WiFi calling on your phone? 

9 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

WhatsApp allows you to text and make wifi calls only to other users of the app, through the app.  Its a free app and works great.  My 78 year old mom uses it once i got her set up.  

Ah, see I'd need to be calling into conference call #'s for work...that's not a WhatsApp #. 

3 hours ago, Chelseaprincess said:

These are applications, something similar to FaceTime which you could probably use as well, audio only

I have used FaceTime (audio only) with good results! Calls went through without any problems. 

• Like 1

I used our free minutes to make calls and text through Whatsapp also. Whatsapp is easy, you download it ahead of time, invite the people you want to keep in contact with so they can download the app also. Then when you want to make a call, log onto your free wifi and open the app and either call or text those people.  You can't call people who don't use Whatsapp.  I didn't try the wifi calling, but have used it when I was in foreign countries and used the hotel wifi and it worked fine.  In theory I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. But I will tell you that the free wifi on the ship wasn't as reliable as say a hotel wifi. Even using whatsapp, sometimes the call wouldn't go through or I would have to call 2-3 times to finish a conversation. Most of the time it was fine though for a few minutes conversation. If you must have reliable phone service I would check your phone company to see if they offer anything and then check with the cruiseline to see if your ship offers the newer Starlink wifi. I know a lot of people travel and pay a lot of money to have streaming capabilities so they will have more reliable service.

3 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Sorry to be so dumb....but all I want to know is if I have my phone connected to the 150 min WiFi and have my phone switched to WiFi calling if I can just dial a number and make a regular call. 

You need to check with your carrier. Also take a look at Cellular at Sea, https://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-cellular-phone-service-texting.

Edited by Mistizoom
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I'm barely technologically literate. Is Viber or WatsApp different than just enabling WiFi calling on your phone? 

yes, different.

for whatsapp, both people have to use the app.

for wifi calling, it's like a regular phone call.

i dont remember if the 150 min can do wifi calling.

on celebrity, i can and have  made wifi calls to usa but i had their upgraded streaming internet service. (ship was in south america.)

so i'm assuming you can make wifi calls if you have ncl's upgraded streaming service.

Edited by fstuff1

16 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Sorry to be so dumb....but all I want to know is if I have my phone connected to the 150 min WiFi and have my phone switched to WiFi calling if I can just dial a number and make a regular call. 

Here's my experience with WiFi-calling, no app, just turned WiFi calling on, on my phone:

In April, we purchased the non-streaming unlimited WiFi package. Using this package we were able to have a one hour'ish conversation with the person doing our home inspection. I don't recommend planning a cruise in the middle of a home purchase, but hey that's how the timing worked for us!

Last month, we purchased the unlimited streaming WiFi package. Using this package, I was unable to make any WiFi calls. Thankfully I only needed to make one call and it wasn't critical, but was annoying. 

I'm not sure what the difference was. Same ship. Same phone. Different (supposedly better) package. 

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind that the internet on the ship can have issues.  We've never had an issue until our last cruise where it kept dropping out.  Not sure what was going on, but there were days when we couldn't get on at all, or if we did get on it ran really slowly and/or kicked us off.

For the internet at sea- How exactly do the log ins work?  Are there 2 usernames/passwords for the room and only 1 device can be signed up at any time per log in/password? So it really isn't linked to individuals within a room?  

Could these log ins technically then be shared with other family members staying in other rooms?