CHEERS and one passenger possible last minute cancelation

KansasinJune

We have a group going on a future cruise. One of the potential cruisers may not be able to come depending on their schedule and may not know until one or two days before. I understand the cruise fare for 2 people in the cabin will not change but would cheers also be for 2 or if we wait until they know if they cannot go can their name be removed and cheers bought for one before departure or on ship for slighty more.

Okay this is a tough scenario to explain but I will give it a go. I can only tell you what happens in a no travel insurance scenario. If the person can't go and contacts Carnival to remove them it is considered a partial cancellation and since it is so close to cruise date it would be 100 percent penalty on their cruise fare. That means their fare is confiscated as penalty and the room is now only half paid for which leaves the other traveler having to pay the part that was taken as penalty. No show at the port avoids the penalty confiscation. 

When it comes to the cheers part, there are two choices. The safer way is to wait until it is deteremined after the no show that there is only one person in the room and pay for only 1 cheers which is slightly more expensive with the onboard price. Or cheers could be purchased for two people now at the lower price and when the no show occurs their cheers cost will be refunded to the original payment. I went this route myself in 2018. We had a 4 person room but I knew my younger daughter wasn't coming. We bought cheers for all 4 people. She no showed and her cheers was refunded to my credit card. If you have read out here a bit then you know with Carnival different company employees will give you different answers. So there could be a risk the prepaid cheers may not get refunded for the no show passenger. I got my money back but that was 4 plus years ago, I don't know for sure if it would be refunded now. 

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:51 PM, KansasinJune said:

We have a group going on a future cruise. One of the potential cruisers may not be able to come depending on their schedule and may not know until one or two days before. I understand the cruise fare for 2 people in the cabin will not change but would cheers also be for 2 or if we wait until they know if they cannot go can their name be removed and cheers bought for one before departure or on ship for slighty more.

There are two ways to handle the cancellation, should it happen, with permutations based on when you purchase Cheers:

1. Inform Carnival prior to the departure date, and possibly get hit with their weird cancellation penalties plus loss of cruise fare.  

2.  Have the other person be a no-show.  They still lose their cruise fare, but Carnival (apparently) does not impose those additional cancellation fees.

If you pre-purchase Cheers "now" for both in cabin, then the first scenario has Cheers refunded for that second person, and the single cruiser gets to keep theirs, and you are good to go.  The second scenario is unclear to me: I'm not sure if Carnival fully refunds pre-purchased Cheers for no-shows.

If you don't pre-purchase Cheers "now", then you can purchase Cheers after the other person cancels under scenario 1 above (or purchase for both if you are certain they are going), on the day before you cruise.

Under scenario 2, you could skip the pre-purchase of Cheers, and just purchase once on-board.  That has the most predictable cost outcome, but you pay a bit more for Cheers.

It really depends on what "cancellation" penalties Carnival imposes, and whether Carnival refunds Cheers for no-shows.

This is a good example:

On 2/26/2023 at 3:07 AM, n6uqqq said:

We had a 4 person room but I knew my younger daughter wasn't coming. We bought cheers for all 4 people. She no showed and her cheers was refunded to my credit card. If you have read out here a bit then you know with Carnival different company employees will give you different answers. So there could be a risk the prepaid cheers may not get refunded for the no show passenger.