Transporting wine on a cruisetour

renee00

Does anyone know what the rules are for carrying wine on a cruisetour? We're starting in Anchorage and there's a local Alaska winery we were hoping to pick up at least one bottle from. Our cruisetour then goes to Denali, Fairbanks, the Yukon, Skagway to pick up the ship, and ends in Vancouver. We'd like to bring a bottle with us to Denali and likely drink it there (or maybe carry a bottle all the way to the end to take home too). Would we run into any problems transporting alcohol along the cruisetour? Should it be in our carryon or checked bags?

Thanks, all!

42 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Personally, I'd carry it in my carryon.  I don't know of any rules for carrying wine on the land portion (assuming you have no flights).  If you have flights, you'll not be able to carry it on.

We have a flight halfway through, from Fairbanks to Dawson City, which would also bring Canadian customs into the issue, so maybe best if we drink it before then. Carryon makes sense over land, less chance of it breaking too. Thanks! I think we'll probably try it and hope it works out.

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Perhaps ask the winery if their products are available anywhere else in Alaska where you could pick some up at a more convenient time.

I checked and unfortunately the only other location is Fairbanks, which we'll probably do as a fallback option if we can't find anything we like in Anchorage and then just hope it doesn't cause problems on the flight to Canada. I'm guessing worst comes to worst, we'll just have to declare it to customs. We're not planning to carry more than one bottle per person going between the US and Canada.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:00 PM, renee00 said:

I checked and unfortunately the only other location is Fairbanks, which we'll probably do as a fallback option if we can't find anything we like in Anchorage and then just hope it doesn't cause problems on the flight to Canada. I'm guessing worst comes to worst, we'll just have to declare it to customs. We're not planning to carry more than one bottle per person going between the US and Canada.

US customs is pretty painless. Have brought back wine multiple times, and if you go over the exemption the tax is only a few dollars. Canada is a different story, make sure you stay under the allowance as their charges were very high. We find that it is always easier to buy in Canada than bring our own.

• Thanks 1