Anchorage pre hotel and rail question

madre2

Hi all!  My husband and I have a pre night at Captain Cook hotel booked, with transfers to the rail station and  rail to Whittier the next day.  My daughter has  decided to go on the cruise now too.  We can get a ship cabin, etc, but the hotel with rail package is sold out for the Princess allotment.  I think we can get her a room at the hotel, but does anyone know the name of the rail company they use, as I want to try to book it separately?  And is there Uber that she could use to get from the hotel to the rail station?  Thank you for any advice on this 

The Alaska Railroad provides the only rail transport to Whittier although the cruise lines contract for their own cars. The Glacier Discovery train departs Anchorage at 9:45am arriving Whittier at 12:05. If this is your departure time you’ll at least be on the same train, possibly not in the same cars. I believe you need to contact Princess direct for any additional bookings specific to their cars. There are Ubers/taxis and the bellman at the Cook can assist.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

• Like 1

I would encourage you to put your daughter's luggage with yours so Princess will transport it to the ship (so your daughter doesn't have to). Once I stayed at Captain Cook and had arranged my own transfer - and the Bell Captain offered to put my luggage with all the other Princess luggage which helped a lot!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There should be little concern with the details. There is but a single train transporting passengers between Anchorage and Whittier on days that Princess Cruises vessels are in port. The train, known as the "Glacier Discovery," is operated by Alaska Railroad. There are no separate Princess Cruises cars on this train. The typical consist is the railroad's bilevel DMU coach-café (car no. 751), labeled as car "A"; two regular coach cars, labeled as cars "B" and "C"; two baggage cars; and the locomotive.